Community discussions

MikroTik App

gladiopeace
Topic Author

choosing the best DNS for ISP use

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:58 pm

Hello MT guys here's my situation: i have 1k pppoe users network, i need to choose a good dns server to stick with i've tried my isp's local DNS server, 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2,8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, these dns servers worked fine for sometime.
my question is: is there a way i can lease a dedicated DNS server to satisfy my clients needs?
Regards

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: choosing the best DNS for ISP use

Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:43 pm

You want to build your own or you want to know which provider is better? What is the problem you are facing with DNS servers?
Generally speaking, your local DNS provider should be better (if they have build a good one). That is because it is faster to reach and it will redirect you to the right server in cases when a domain has multiple servers. For example, say you want to resolve yahoo.com, the google dns servers should redirect you to their nearest server once they have resolved the domain name, which could not be the nearest for you, while the local dns server should redirect to their nearest server which is at the same time the nearest for you.
-Toni-
Don't crash the ambulance, whatever you do

gladiopeace
Topic Author

Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:20 pm

i want to know which dns server is the best for me so i can use it and feel secure about users getting the right information out of the internet, lately i've been facing problems with users having trouble accessing some DNSssey websites like outlook.com and sometimes having latency accessing google.com
my question is if i can subscribe to a premium DNS server near in europe, Regards

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:29 pm

my question is if i can subscribe to a premium DNS server near in europe, Regards
Tough question :), for me at least. If your current dns server does not satisfy your needs, try switching to an open dns server and cache the requests on your mikrotik router and then redirect all users with transparent rule to your router cache, so you would be sure that all users are using the same dns. Test before and after switching with traceroute that particular web address that is giving problems and see if there are any differences after switching.
-Toni-
Don't crash the ambulance, whatever you do

DWJ
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:34 pm

It is very possiable that the problems you are seeing is not related to your DNS server.

google.com and outlook.com are at times VERY slow even here in the USA.

I am not very far away from their master sever and I have problems with them also.

gladiopeace
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:36 am

Tough question :), for me at least. If your current dns server does not satisfy your needs, try switching to an open dns server and cache the requests on your mikrotik router and then redirect all users with transparent rule to your router cache, so you would be sure that all users are using the same dns. Test before and after switching with traceroute that particular web address that is giving problems and see if there are any differences after switching.
me too, i think the response for this question might solve most DNS problems,
and here's my definition for a good DNS server, for short it's 8.8.8.8(100% accurate) located in Europe
now let's see how in pseudo details what features makes a DNS server perfect:
active monitoring for the cached names, you know that most advanced websites have multiple URLs used for tunneling encrypted data mostly with other functionalities the sum of this dynamic names make the whole service runs beautifully neat, if some a particular name was cached and it happened that you requested the outdated link it will be a literal disaster for the service you provide sometime you cant just figure it out before your angry customer do , none can deny that doesn't face this annoying problem..
so please if someone knows a premium DNS server located in Europe that is actively updated and please don't tell me to write my own DNS server script because i am already tired configuring my custom squid server that i orginally hired someone to lay the foundation of the caching script, i am freakin lazy.

gladiopeace
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:42 am

It is very possiable that the problems you are seeing is not related to your DNS server.

google.com and outlook.com are at times VERY slow even here in the USA.

I am not very far away from their master sever and I have problems with them also.
dude are you talking dedicated connectivity? i provide my angry customers with a solid 50Mbit/s dedicated connectivity. also i am running a dedicated server in Holland provided with 100Mbit/s dedicated connectivity with max 33ms latency when tested against 8.8.8.8, having no problem at all with the speed, it happens sometime that outlook.com displays a blank page of death when facing those annoying DNS problems :S

joegoldman
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:45 am

At 1,000 users, you should really build your own DNS server. Industry standard is BIND. Be sure to ACL down to your own IP ranges, and sit it next to your LNS. Have a decent sized cache (but also adhere to TTL's for the cache). BIND should come pre-configured to look-up root servers and follow query path for any lookups.

Use your local as primary, and a public DNS (8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8) as secondary.

gladiopeace
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:13 am

At 1,000 users, you should really build your own DNS server. Industry standard is BIND. Be sure to ACL down to your own IP ranges, and sit it next to your LNS. Have a decent sized cache (but also adhere to TTL's for the cache). BIND should come pre-configured to look-up root servers and follow query path for any lookups.

Use your local as primary, and a public DNS (8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8) as secondary.
thank you very much i didnt know about BIND server earlier ill browse the configuration so i can implement this solution in my network :)

hazemamer7

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:08 pm

the best DNS for you normally is the one that have low latency and you can know this by Ping command

ping -t 8.8.8.8
ping -t 208.67.222.222

and see what is the lowest in time reply for you.