Community discussions

adilmehmoodbutt
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik BGP Protocol configuration

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:56 am

HI,

I have an issue with mikrotik Rb-750 gigabyte, 5.11 v router board BGP configuration. My router using my both ISP connection for download and upload bandwidth while i monitor in interface but i want to use my 1st connection as primary cnnection and secondary mean 2nd isp connection as backup connection how can i prioritize my primary connection for upload/download traffic in my router and keep my 2nd ISP connection as backup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dasiu
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Mikrotik BGP Protocol configuration

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:26 pm

HI,

I have an issue with mikrotik Rb-750 gigabyte, 5.11 v router board BGP configuration. My router using my both ISP connection for download and upload bandwidth while i monitor in interface but i want to use my 1st connection as primary cnnection and secondary mean 2nd isp connection as backup connection how can i prioritize my primary connection for upload/download traffic in my router and keep my 2nd ISP connection as backup.
You should:
1. Use DIFFERENT in- and out-filters for the peer1 and peer2
2. Add a rule in peer2 in-filter lowering local-preference (for example - to 50)
3. Add a rule in peer2 out-filter setting bgp-prepending (or, if the AS doesn't accept the prepending, a special community that is accepted by the operator)
(edit: ach, now I see that the peers belong to the same AS... Then you can try setting a MED in out-filter for peer2)

If you have 2 BGP sessions and you want to be the administrator and manage them - it would be nice to get some knowledge about BGP :).

garthvs

Re: Mikrotik BGP Protocol configuration

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:38 am

I found this really helpful. It explains how to manipulate BGP based traffic:

https://ftp.apnic.net/meetings/22/docs/ ... gp-bcp.pdf