Community discussions

MikroTik App

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Feature Request: OpenSource AddOn Function...

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:34 pm

It would be great if we could develop and compile modules/addons/extensions etc for RouterOS. The scripting language is very limited and it would be great if there was some API and development functionality so we could build for the platform.

-Eric

nosovk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Feature Request: OpenSource AddOn Function...

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:25 pm

really - it would be great.
I would like to write WINS server for mikrotik :)

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:04 am

Anyone running whatever they want on RouterOS sounds like support nightmare.

But perhaps if there was at least some limited environment, some kind of chroot, limited access to selected parts of hardware, non-root user with limited capabilities exposed, etc ... then it might be feasible? Or in worst case an ability to activate some unsupported mode, i.e. "we let you do it, but if you do, don't ask for help with anything, including the rest of system". Not ideal, but still better than nothing.

There's MetaRouter, where it's possible to do a lot of stuff, but it's the matter of resources. A lot of things can be done using few kilobytes of disk space and memory, but when you have to wrap it in another whole OS for MR, it makes huge difference.

And if there was an interface for these custom packages to expose themselves in ROS console or even in nice and friendly WinBox GUI, imagine the possibilities. I see it already, things like original full-featured OpenVPN, various servers, all crazy dreams could come true. :)

muetzekoeln
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:06 pm

With the new kernel version in RouterOS v7 it could be possible to use containers for supporting third-party packages.

It would be great to have some OpenSource software available as optional packages in ROS, like
  • Let's Encrypt
  • Freeradius
  • Wireguard
  • FRRouting
  • udpxy
  • iPerf3
  • NGINX
  • MaraDNS, dnsmasq

Mikrotik, please consider this repeated user requests.
Last edited by muetzekoeln on Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:42 pm

Hey, I see my five years old post. Oh how the time flies... :)

Anyway, I still think it would be useful, but mainly for really exotic stuff where demand is too low for MikroTik to add that. Mainstream things should better get official support.

jangdong
just joined

Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:22 am

With the new kernel version in RouterOS v7 it could be possible to use containers for supporting third-party packages.

It would be great to have some OpenSource software available as optional packages in ROS, like
  • Let's Encrypt
  • Freeradius
  • Wireguard
  • FRRouting
  • udpxy
  • iPerf3
  • NGINX
  • MaraDNS, dnsmasq

Mikrotik, please consider this repeated user requests.
Hope RouterOS will support UDPXY as soon as possible this!