Community discussions

fsouleau
just joined
Topic Author

BIG recurrent RIP problem

Thu May 04, 2006 9:55 am

Router OS does not work propely it doesn't redistribute static route so you must only have local static route for your default gateway. It only redistribute connected route. It's look like a very well known problem on quagga old version.
I'm using 2.9.8 to 2.9.23, I have tried routing-test but nothing changed. I use more than 20 Routerboard 532

Should we wait routerOS version v10.29 to have that big bug fixed ?

karyal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: BIG recurrent RIP problem

Sun May 07, 2006 12:03 am

Router OS does not work propely it doesn't redistribute static route so you must only have local static route for your default gateway. It only redistribute connected route. It's look like a very well known problem on quagga old version.
I'm using 2.9.8 to 2.9.23, I have tried routing-test but nothing changed. I use more than 20 Routerboard 532

Should we wait routerOS version v10.29 to have that big bug fixed ?
Hi, i had several problems with rip, once our network grew over 150 nodes.
In my network i had no problem in distributing static routes (2.9.5 to 2.9.19 while using rip), but rip seemed to "loose" routes around.
I had to (sigh) set all the routes to static, and now with 2.9.23, and routing-test, i'm using bgp for internal network too.
About your problem, i had default routes correctly propagated (we have three different POPs around the area, and RIP was also correctly selecting the nearest default gateway)
So far it seems all fine with bgp.
In the end, RIP should work for your network, but won't probably be enough if it keeps growing... i would suggest you to think in advance to switch to bgp or ospf while the network is still small...
Bye,
Ricky

fsouleau
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2006 12:36 am

Thanks for your reply.

I currently managed 11 different with 15 Wifi relay on each. 3 of the are 100% Mikrotik, 6 are 100% linux based routers (quagga for routing) and 2 are mixed network. All this networks have 2 POP to link the network to Internet
If the default route is generated by a linux router at each side evry thing is ok
If i have routeros at the begining of the chain it doesn't propagate default route.
Is it difficult to migrate to BGP ? OSPF is easier ? Rip is very simple and effectif in my network size.
Do you think RouterOS is realy reliable ?
Thanks in advance

karyal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 07, 2006 1:07 am

Thanks for your reply.

I currently managed 11 different with 15 Wifi relay on each. 3 of the are 100% Mikrotik, 6 are 100% linux based routers (quagga for routing) and 2 are mixed network. All this networks have 2 POP to link the network to Internet
If the default route is generated by a linux router at each side evry thing is ok
If i have routeros at the begining of the chain it doesn't propagate default route.
My guess is you should check something about the configuration.
I had default routes generated by both quagga linux box and MT, and it worked both ways.. A collegue has problems with a mixed quagga/MT/Bird environment, but seems a problem with bird, more than MT.

Is it difficult to migrate to BGP ? OSPF is easier ? Rip is very simple and effectif in my network size.
The easiest one is the one you know better =)
I find BGP quite straightforward, and i'm more used to it than OSPF (even if MT manages it in a quite different way than quagga, so i had problems setting it up at the beginning.)
I must thank the people on the forum for succeding... I understand that BGP in MT is not so complete as in quagga, but is reported to be solid, and this was my aim.
OSPF is much more flexible (as you can route based on link speed too, for example), but harder (in my point of view) to setup, and i understand from what i read and from reports from collegues that are using it that is not 100% stable on MT (please note that i cannot tell if this is the real situation or if it's because of some misconfiguration).
OSPF is not completely stable on Quagga too (if thing hasn't changed recently)

Do you think RouterOS is realy reliable ?
Thanks in advance
This is bad question to answer after i passed an horrible April because of stability issues. =)
The biggest issue was related to devices lockup, but it was a problem of MT version (2.9.20 don't use it on an RB)
The other problem i had was related to RIP loosing routes.
I just have another problem, which is related to wds loosing links for some seconds, seems to be a known problem, but everyone has a different solution that works for each one, but not for the others (neither for me =)
With 2.9.20 removed, all the routes managed by static or BGP (i'm slowly migrating to bgp), it seems all fine, i just hope it keeps so.

There are some rough points, but i consider it a stable product. I think it's the best you can use for wireless networking anyway =)

Bye,
Ricky

fsouleau
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 08, 2006 2:07 am

Thanks,
I think i will keep RIP as long as my network are small enough.
A wait for OLSR ....

My networks are in France where ar your's ?

Eugene
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri May 12, 2006 5:15 pm

fsouleau, you should send support-output file to support@mikrotik.com

Eugene
Tout individu a droit à la vie, à la liberté et à la sûreté de sa personne.

MimiFleX

Same problem here

Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:02 pm

I have the same problem with my networks :

- I can't propagate 0.0.0.0/0 route from the routerOS connected to the internet gateway.

- RouterOS prefers to use high metric default route received with RIP, rather than a local static default route. I've to force the local static default route metric to 0 rather than 1 or 2, even if the RIP default route has a 15 metric.

- RouterOS RIP can't support routed loops (I've many loops for redundancy on my networks) : RouterOS doesn't take care of the metric if It receives the same route from two other routers (it seems to take the last received), so routing tables become unusable.

- When I use traceroute to see how packets are routed through RouterOS routers on my networks, I often see infinite loops with 0.0.0.0 as traceroute hops.

I ran these tests on my real network with a mix of linux, cisco, linksys, an RouterOS on RB500 and x86 (I had no problem before without RouterOS). I also ran tests on a small network of 4 RB500 linked to shape a square with ethernet cables. When RIP is activated, this mini network goes crazy. That would be ok if someone says to me that RIP isn't not the best practice for looped networks, but It really works fine with quagga or IOS. My main problem is that when I want to propagate a default route from a RouterOS, corner of my square, that doesn't work at all, even without loops.

I can easily provide exports of my configurations for the square.

That's a real big problem for WISPs (as me) who want to make redundancy on their backbones with multiple POPs and multiple RIP default route sources and well choosen metrics. Perhaps I should try OSPF or BGP. But I think BGP isn't well suited for my networks and I want to be sure that OSPF will work to avoid me to lose time and money again.

Finally, MikroTik logo makes me laugh because of the « Routing The World », because RouterOS is unable to work properlly for routing (yes, I'm angry about this, we bought about 50 Level4 licences with RB500). I had no problem before with Quagga routing processes nor Cisco routers.

I like RouterOS, but I think to move to something else quickly if routing is not solved ASAP (can't MT provide a simple quagga package with telnet access (TCP 2601, 2602...) to configure it ?).

Regards,

MFX,
a WISP net admin.

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:20 am

RouterOS 2.9.26 with routing-TEST package

My setup with 5 routers: (router "1" have default route)
No problems at all.

I made a static route on router "5", there were no problems

MimiFleX

Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:52 am

No problems at all.

I made a static route on router "5", there were no problems
Thanks for your reply.

Was your static route a default route (ie 0.0.0.0/0) ?
There is no problem to propagate static routes other than 0.0.0.0/0 in non-looped networks for me.

I'll work on it today and provide more details.

Regards.

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:01 pm

I have the default route on the router (1).

__________________________  ____________________________
|		                    ||                            | 
(1)---------(2)           (3)------------(4)------------(5)      
            ||____________________________|              |
            |____________________________________________|

if i add another default route on the router (3), only router (2) stays on the old default route (1) - so, no problems here!

MimiFleX

Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:30 pm

That seems to be OK with the 2.9.26 routing-test package on my square. The default routing package hasn't the default route propagation fonctionnality.
I'll make more tests another day on our real production network. I'll try to give you a follow up about this.

Is routing-test stable enough for production use (in comparison with routing that doesn't work at all) ?

Why this package doesn't replace the routing default package ? When will it replace the standart routing package ?

Can someone point me to a topic or ML archive on which I could have more details about currently opened bugs in routing-test, and to know exactly what has changed between RouterOS versions (The Changelog isn't verbose enough) ?

Thanks.