Community discussions

MikroTik App

JDiaz
just joined
Topic Author

Validity of MTCNA & MTCRE certifications

Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:10 pm

Hi,

we have MTCNA and MTCRE certifications and we are suffering unfair competition by another company whose certification is not in effect for several years. So we have two questions:

1. There is any official document where the expiration date of the certifications is explained?

2. The period of validity of 3 years applies to all certificates issued or only those issued from a certain date?

Thanks for your support.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Validity of MTCNA & MTCRE certifications

Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:06 pm

You can use the Search to check validity of certificate: http://www.mikrotik.com/certificate_search.php

The certificate itself says that it's valid "3 years since issue".

this applies to all certificates

JDiaz
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:41 pm

You can use the Search to check validity of certificate: http://www.mikrotik.com/certificate_search.php

The certificate itself says that it's valid "3 years since issue".

this applies to all certificates
Tes, our certificates says their validity, but not the ones of the other company, so my question abolir if this applies to all certificates regardless of their date of issue.

Thanks.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:50 pm

It applies to everyone, even if the earlier certificates don't say it specifically.

voxframe
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:12 pm

This gives me a curious thought.

Once the cert expires in 3 years, what is the renewal process? Re-do the entire certification again?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:22 pm

This gives me a curious thought.

Once the cert expires in 3 years, what is the renewal process? Re-do the entire certification again?
Yes. You must re-take the exam with a certified trainer (not online). This ensures the person is informed about all the new features we have made in the last 3 years.
of course, you don't absolutely require a valid certificate unless you are a trainer. Knowledge will not go away.

fcalderab
just joined

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:00 pm

I know this post is a quite old... Anyway I have a doubt. I own Cisco certifications too... In Cisco when you give an specific exam or a higher level exam, automatically this renew the lower certification too... I mean, if Mikrotik works in the Cisco way, if I have MTCNA certification and I wann renew it, so I give MTCRE exam and it gives me 3 years of MTCRE and 3 more years of MTCNA. My question is, does Mikrotik work like Cisco?

Waiting for the answer,

Francisco

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:16 pm

I know this post is a quite old... Anyway I have a doubt. I own Cisco certifications too... In Cisco when you give an specific exam or a higher level exam, automatically this renew the lower certification too... I mean, if Mikrotik works in the Cisco way, if I have MTCNA certification and I wann renew it, so I give MTCRE exam and it gives me 3 years of MTCRE and 3 more years of MTCNA. My question is, does Mikrotik work like Cisco?

Waiting for the answer,

Francisco
i have the same thinking aobut this topic

for example a person who have just obtained MTCINE 35 months after obtaining MTCNA, 1 month later have to take MTCNA to revalidate!!!!!

in this case i thing has no sense to a person who have just obtained MTCINE, to take the MTCNA exam

alex1
just joined

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:22 am

Folks,

I know this is very old thread, but anyways this question is still valid.

Could you please point me to official document that clearly says what options are available to renew/recertify Associate and Engineer-level certs?

I hold certificates from Cisco, Juniper and others and ALL of them allow to recertify by advancing to the next level of certification. It does make sense when you re-certify MTCNA by passing MTCRE and then update all of them by getting MTCINE. To renew MTCINE I would just pass written exam instead of finding a place to go and sit there for 3 days, waste ~$1K to get a chance to pass 50 min test...

Thanks.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:55 pm

Folks,

I know this is very old thread, but anyways this question is still valid.

Could you please point me to official document that clearly says what options are available to renew/recertify Associate and Engineer-level certs?

I hold certificates from Cisco, Juniper and others and ALL of them allow to recertify by advancing to the next level of certification. It does make sense when you re-certify MTCNA by passing MTCRE and then update all of them by getting MTCINE. To renew MTCINE I would just pass written exam instead of finding a place to go and sit there for 3 days, waste ~$1K to get a chance to pass 50 min test...

Thanks.
Normis point is still valid though. In 3 years a lot o new features can be launched, how can you classify the 3 days as a waste if you are a) learning about the new features to a high level (such as MTCINE) and if b) your job depends on you having the cert, 3 days is nothing when you have another 362 to make money.

alex1
just joined

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:29 pm

Thank you Steve for your thoughts, but it doesn't help me at all to understand re-certification procedure for MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE certs. Should I re-take all the classes again or just one MTCINE or just go somewhere and pass the test or series of tests and what would be the price?

Thanks.

soulflyhigh
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Bump!
I've recently got MTCTCE (in February 2017) and my MTCNA expires by the end of 2017.
This policy about re-certification (for MTCNA at least) is really pointless.
Most of the questions at the MTCNA exam are not RouterOS-specific (probably more than 80-85%).

MTCNA >
 Course prerequisites: The student must have a good understanding of TCP/IP and subnetting.
MTCTCE >
 Course prerequisites – MTCNA certificate
What will happen If I choose not te re-certify MTCNA?
Would my MTCTCE become invalid because MTCTCE requires MTCNA?
Will I be able to take MTCRE exam next year if my MTCNA expires?

I can't believe that I have to ask this kind of questions. :shock: