Community discussions

MikroTik App

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Ethernet Port Perminatly Dieing

Mon May 08, 2006 5:10 pm

I have had four routerboards die on me in less then 7 days. They are on my roof powered by a POE 48V units.

The first unit was the older rb230, then an rb500,and now a second rb112. After the Third one died I switched out everything the rb, the ethernet run, the powersupply. The only thing in common was that I'm using .23 of the code.

You can power the units up via poe but thers no more ethernet connetivity. If you to to /system/reset and clear all settings the units reboot and just continue to reboot anytime you try to enter the submenu /ip.

-----------
Is there anyone out there with a simular issue?

Frustrated,
Michael

VicNet

Tue May 09, 2006 6:46 pm

You must remember than only one of the eth ports supports PoE, if you contect to another eth you destroy them.

Or mayeby you have problem with your wires. It is very strange.

We have lots of RB's with PoE and no such problems.

Buy new one roterboard :( Check it with standard power supply.
It must work.

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2006 11:19 pm

I had an rb230 die on me, the router and raidio works but can't use the ethernet port other than powering up the unit. No ip connectivity. I replaced it with an rb112 and I have had two of these units die on me. I now have yet another rb112 working for 48 hours now, I also replaced the poe injector this time as well. After replacing the poe the rb112 stoped responding in about 8 hours, I've reset it and now it's worked for 48 hours.

VicNet

Wed May 10, 2006 10:40 am

So, you must have power supply problem or overheating problem.
What of condition you have for boards. Mayeby there are extremly hot.
Mayeby there are no grounding. Check voltages.

Please check everything outside routerborad. (It work very fine in proper conditions).

If it possible check everything on the bench.

milance
just joined

Thu May 25, 2006 5:15 am

i had one WRAP with ether1 burned with wrong POE,
all except LAN worked ok ...

solution exists,

take a close picture with macro of ic's near POE LAN,
maybe i can help ...
and plz post it here.

b.r.
Milance

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Ethernet Port Perminatly Dieing

Thu May 25, 2006 5:23 am

make sure you run latest routerboard bios (http://www.routerboard.com)
Move along. Nothing to see here.

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat May 27, 2006 8:08 pm

Ok, it turned out that I had two problems.

The rb112 is only meant for customer premis equipment (cpe) and is not meant to be a main router. I was running dhcp, routing, pppoe server, radius, and hotspot. I was told this by both Mikrotik and the reseller that I purchaced the cards with. I sent these cards to e-bay and bought rb532a's.

The second discovery came after the rb532a was installed and the unit was still going dead on me and having to clime the tower twice. The third time after a thunderstorm past my wife was monitoring the connection as I climed down the tower and watched the connection stop and start. Turned out one of the u.l connectors (new one) was defective. I could wiggle the wire and it would stop/start. Replaced it so far so good.

Which brings me to the idea that the reason the units were just going dead is that the radio either shut the mikrotik unit down or the connector was shorting out? I plan to post this question in another thread as well.

Regards,
Michael

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat May 27, 2006 11:09 pm

The rb112 is only meant for customer premis equipment (cpe) and is not meant to be a main router. I was running dhcp, routing, pppoe server, radius, and hotspot. I was told this by both Mikrotik and the reseller that I purchaced the cards with. I sent these cards to e-bay and bought rb532a's.
Ok, misunderstandings suck. Well your not the first and wont be the last on that one.
Which brings me to the idea that the reason the units were just going dead is that the radio either shut the mikrotik unit down or the connector was shorting out? I plan to post this question in another thread as well.
A broken component can easily shutdown a unit temporarily and permanently.
On the rb112: Running out of available memory tends to make the kernel kill processes until memory comes available to serve a memory allocation request.
On the rb532: I wouldnt trust that unit for anything important after that. Power related incidents will almost always bring units one large step to the junkyard.
Did you ground the unit btw? Just curious.
Move along. Nothing to see here.

UniKyrn
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 28, 2006 3:28 am

Are you running in-line lightning arrestors on the Cat5?

Lightning season is starting where I am and we've already had a few failures. The most common failure is the ethernet port, that long length of Cat5 going up to the radio makes a wonderful antenna all on it's own and a good static zap from a nearby lightning strike can induce more than enough voltage to fry the ethernet port.

MT might make low priced AP's, but the hardware to protect them from lightning can cost more than the AP itself sometimes.