Community discussions

MikroTik App

Mattmans1
just joined
Topic Author

GRE tunnel with Multiple WAN gateways for failover - HELP

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:03 pm

Hi,

I have a PPPOE dialer as one WAN gateway and a standard /30 on an interface acting as a second fail-over WAN gateway, the PPPOE dialer injects a default route with AD of 0, then i have a secondary default route pointing at the /30 gateway as a fail-over, so when the PPPOE dialer stops working, is default route disappears from the routing table and all internet traffic is router via the secondary WAN gateway

What i am trying to achieve is this, i want to create is some kind of /30 tunnel between two Mikrotiks, the tunnel needs to be encrypted. I was thinking of a GRE tunnel because i want to route IP addresses from my network through the GRE tunnel to Mikrotik so i can have public IP addresses on one of the interfaces.

The problem i foresee is that to create the GRE tunnel you need to specify a remote and designation IP address to create the tunnel, because i have a fail-over on a different IP address, if my PPPOE dialer stops working then my GRE tunnel stops working and it wont work with the fail-over.

How could i solve this problem? - maybe two GRE tunnels one built on each WAN gateway. Is there a way of creating a single /30 point to point tunnel between two Mikrotiks that will work with multiple WAN gateways for fail-over?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Matt.

brauser
Trainer
Trainer

Re: GRE tunnel with Multiple WAN gateways for failover - HEL

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:05 am

Hi Matt,

You scenario and purpose isn't clear enough for my understanding, please post the output of "/ip address print detail", "/ip route print detail", "/interface print detail", "/ip firewall export", and an accurate network diagram so help can be easier.

quadrant
just joined

Re: GRE tunnel with Multiple WAN gateways for failover - HEL

Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:51 pm

I would like to do the same thing... the GRE tunnels have keep-alive so RouterOS knows when they are down, problem is the other end of my tunnels is pfSense/FreeBSD which does not know when the link is down. Seems like the best way is to set up two tunnels and achieve this with a routing table of the far end IPs with two gateways? Any ideas?

Thanks