Community discussions

MikroTik App

metabaron
just joined
Topic Author

No idea how this is event possible

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:25 am

Hello all, brand new French guy here.

So, I have a 1Gbps connection at home (yep, living in Singapore where my Internet Provider recently released a 1Gbps for below S$50).
When I connect my computer directly behind the ONT (Alcatel Lucent I-010G-U), I have a download speed of 950Mbs or so with cable A or B (tested the 2 cables to be sure they have no problem at all)

When I connect my computer to my Mikrotik using cable A, the speed negotiated is 1Gbps.
The connection between ONT and Mikrotik with cable B is also 1Gbps.
So far so good.
But when I run the same download test speed, my speed is only 270Mbs instead of the previous 950Mbs when directly connected to the ONT.

Any idea where I could look to get a full speed from my Mikrotik please?

dog
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: No idea how this is event possible

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:20 pm

What Routerboard do you have?
Most likely you are simply maxing out the CPU.

metabaron
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:02 pm

I'm owning a RB2011UAS

noib
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:41 pm

Tools->profile , check CPU when doing your bandwidth test.
You gave no details about what the 2011 is doing; if it is just switching, make sure that your ethernet cables are on the same switch chipset (eth1-5 and eth6-10 if i remember well)

metabaron
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:25 pm

Ok, this is a newly re installed Mikrotik and I realized that Firewall is kicking 50% or more of the CPU with networking at 20% and same for Ethernet...
The default firewall is 50%? That huge isn't it?

EDIT: the router is doing only one things: give internet access, with currently only one computer connected to it.
EDIT2: When I mean re-install: hard reset, restart with factory default, plugged in internet, computer. Default firewall rules

metabaron
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:51 am

So, I don't get it, both 1Gbps system are on the same switch (the 5 1Gbps one), firewall rules are at minimum (the default ones) and still, I reach 100% CPU usage (firewall being more than 50% of it)?

dog
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:27 am

The RB2011 is "rated" at about 700Mbit/s: http://routerboard.com/RB2011UiAS-IN (the value in the lower right corner is closest to real-world) so it is unlikely that you will get 1 Gbit out of it anyway.

Please post a configuration export.

To test for a bottleneck first clear the router configuration:
sys reset-configuration skip-backup=yes no-defaults=yes
Then configure the router as a simple switch:
/int eth
set ether1 comment="WAN"
set ether2 master-port=ether1 comment="LAN"
That should behave the same as connecting your PC directly to the modem.

After testing reset the router again and configure it as a software switch:
/int bri
add name=bri1
/int bri po
add int=ether1 bridge=bri1
add int=ether2 bridge=bri1
That should still behave the same way as above (but with higher CPU load).

metabaron
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:21 am

Thank you, will post the request file tomorrow night I think (I'm in SG) and will run the tests you gave me.

metabaron
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:55 am

Hello,

I did what you ask. First connection, without bridge, I cap at my max speed, like behind ONT (about 950Mbps).
When doing the second connection (so just a bridge with the two ethernet, my CPU raise at 20-25 max when my speed is down to 95Mbps... (so, reset of the router, create a bridge, connect eth1 and eth2 to the bridge.

I just noticed that my eth0, connected to the ONT is now 100Mbps because, suddenly, the ONT is advertising 100Mbps max ... I might have the culprit ....

metabaron
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:06 am

When the ONT announce 1Gbps, I have a download speed at 857Mbps which is much more what I'm expecting

metabaron
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:39 am

Once I started DHCP server and NAT, back to 250Mbps with almost 100% CPU (through pre-defined Home AP).
I'm really disappointed that you cannot have a CPU able to suspend much faster speed (for this, I thought, was a high end router)

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:36 am

Once I started DHCP server and NAT, back to 250Mbps with almost 100% CPU (through pre-defined Home AP).
I'm really disappointed that you cannot have a CPU able to suspend much faster speed (for this, I thought, was a high end router)
Of course you can have a better CPU, you can even have CPU that handles 10Gbit/s with millions of packets/s if you want ... but it will cost you more money ... take a look a powerPC or Tilera based Mikrotiks if you want to make full use of your 1Gbit/s internet line. I bet your cheap car can't do 320km/h either ... so why expect that you can spend less than 100$ and get performance of a few 1000$ machine? RB2011 is a high-end router, it allows you way more control of your traffic than anything in this price range but 1gbit/s is just too big task for such small CPU.

JF.

jaykay2342

Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:00 pm

RB2011 is not doing 1Gbit/s if you doing firewalling and natting on that box, it just not powerful enough. It was never a high-end router.

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: AW: No idea how this is event possible

Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:44 pm

that's a realistic speed with connection tracking enabled. There is nothing wrong with your setup, the device just isn't any faster.
Rb2011 is a low cost device. If you want wirespeed, I suggest a Mt device with PPC or possibly an edgerouter by ubiquiti.

--
That does put a damper on our relationship.

metabaron
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Thank you, I thought I bought a medium to high end device :( So, my Asus (like half the price), can deliver almost full speed but with less features ... Sad for me.

Thank you all for your help