Community discussions

MikroTik App

MrFloppy
Topic Author

Problem setting a PPTP game server...

Thu May 11, 2006 12:34 am

Hi everyone.

I have a little problem.

I have just set a PPTP server in a mikrotik machine. This mikrotik its at the same time connected to a wireless router ( via cable ) that distribute signal to my entire house.
On the other hand, I have an atheros based PCI card ( on the same mikrotik ) that i use to make a link whit a friend that is about 900 meters far away. In their side, my friend uses a linksys wireless router (a WRT54G version 4 ) that also uses to dial a PPPoE connection over an ADSL Modem... ( we are using a TrevorMarshall and a Biquad to make the link )

the ports 1723 (VPN), 80 (WEB), 21 and 23 ( Telnet, SSH ) are already mapped to my mikrotik in the linksys router of my friend ( wich is the one that provides us the internet ) so i can access from a WAN Ip from anywhere ( We have static internet IP )

Now this is the thing...

I get into my pptp server ...
I can make ping to all the computers on my network...
I can reach all the shared resources, apache web server, mysql, etc, etc..
But for some reason, when we make a LAN game ( like Warcraft ).. we can´t see the games of each other... in other words.. when i make a multiplayer game, my friends cannot see the game o their screens.

Its not the version of the game, because we always play on my house and works fine..

I think that could be a problem on the port mapping. Maybe there is a port that i need to forward.

Still, i think its very strange because the PPTP its a TCP/IP based connection and when a user get into the server he is already part of the LAN, no matter if he is here or in China..

Can somebody help me whit this ??

Did i miss something ?

Best regards..

MrFloppy

MrFloppy
Topic Author

Thu May 11, 2006 8:22 pm

no ideas ?

Gradius
just joined

Thu May 11, 2006 9:37 pm

Hey there,

Warcraft III and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Both require port 6112 to be open and forwarded for both TCP and UDP. You may try to map the ports to the respective machines. If this does not work let me know.

Gradius
just joined

Thu May 11, 2006 9:38 pm

Also, You may try to enter the IP of the games you are trying to connect to rather than waiting for the games to show up on the list.

MrFloppy
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2006 5:07 pm

A friend told me that could be problem whit the MTU...

For the other side im thinking in set a EoIP link but a im not sure that if i make multiple PPTP connections bridged to one single ethernet adaptor is going to work.

will it work ?

Gradius
just joined

Wed May 17, 2006 5:13 pm

The default MTU that MikroTik uses is 1460, however if you lower this to 1420 you remove some of the overhead and you should be able to establish a connection.