Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

michaelcarey
Topic Author

Need some guidance in Mikrotik configuration

Thu May 11, 2006 8:16 am

Hi Everybody,
Sorry for the long post, it's my first!!
I'm a long time MikroTik user. I haven't used it for anything overly serious so far, mainly as a network monitor, allowing me to see at-a-glance which machine on my network is up and down, performing pings and the like.
Anyway, I have a far more involved use for MikroTik now and was hoping someone on this forum might be able to get me going in the right direction.
I wish to use MikroTik as a firewall between a wired network 192.168.0.x (connected via a NAT router to an ADSL connection) and a public wireless network 192.168.50.x.
I would like to have users establish a PPTP VPN from the public wireless side to MikroTik, be handed an IP on the private network and then be able to access resources on the private wired network and access the ADSL internet connection.
PLUS, I would like to be able to put a bandwidth limit on each user, to limit their overall throughput. I don't need this to be dynamic, just a fixed throughput. The main internet NAT router is a CyberGuard unit.
I know MikroTik can be a PPTP server, but can each PPTP user be issued a bandwidth limit?
Can someone please help me?
Regards,
Michael.

michaelcarey
Topic Author

Bump!

Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:18 am

Can any kind person help me out with this? Please.... :cry:

Tonda
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:54 am

michaelcarey
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:02 pm

Yes, I have even printed out the documentation and studied it quite a bit. BUT, I am hesitant to purchase a licence for Mikrotik if I am not sure that it will do what I want/need. I can set up a firewall between two ethernet interfaces and establish a PPTP server and connect to this from the remote network. But on a Level 1 licence, I can do only so much.
All I am asking for, is some guidance... I don't want someone to write my config for me... Truthfully, I am more of a hardware person.... You want an 2.4 GHz antenna placed at the top of a 30 metre tower, give me a call. You need connectors installed on pressurized coaxial cable, give me a call.
http://www.users.on.net/~michaelcarey/wireless.htm
I'm trying to learn, I just need some help... not a RTFM reply....

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:45 pm

Hi Michael,

you can create bandwidth limits quite simple for PPTP connections. Every PPTP client is assigned to a PPP profile, where you can configure simple rate limiting options. (PPP profiles docs see here: http://www.mikrotik.com/docs/ros/2.9/gu ... t#13.4.2.1, see parameter "rate-limit").

More sophisticated bandwidth shaping could be done using the powerful MikroTik queueing features - if needed.

Best regards,
Christian Meis