Community discussions

MikroTik App

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

[WINBOX] MultiTab

Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:31 am

Request from the dev's, would like to see winbox as only open one instance but have multiple tabs. When having 5+ winbox instances open it can get annoying switching between them all, a tabbed interface would be awesome!

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Re: [WINBOX] MultiTab

Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:52 am

I actually would hate to see that. I like the way it is.

It would be okay as an option.

adairw
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:15 am

Tabs sound awesome. I can only manage multiple winbox sessions well from within Windows 7. Sucks on xp.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:20 am

It is much easier to switch windows by alt+tab than pointing at tiny tabs. So I vote against. I am for only and only if it would be configurable option.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:22 am

Reconnect button when connection is lost would be something!

nerdtron
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:13 am

^THIS!
It's not just something, this is a big improvement.

j7n

Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:13 am

The Windows Taskbar, if configured for easy access (i.e. no icon grouping), is already equivalent to a "tab bar" and works well. It is my understanding that routers running different OS versions have entirely separate Winbox'es (sharing the loader). Is it at all straightforward to combine them into a single tabbed window?
I second this.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:09 pm

Hell yes, do this!

djmuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:11 pm

Windows management buttons on the windows in winbox so they can be minimised - finding a window that has gone behind the others is a PAIN...

NO to Tabs unless they can be 'ripped' into separate windows (a'la chrome) - If I am Comparing 2 devices I want them side by side...

coylh
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:40 am

Use webfig if you want tabs.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:55 am

Webfig sucks - too easy to work too quickly for it and have the async calls fail.

I actually run Winbox on Ubuntu, hence my request for it. I don't have a standard taskbar like many. I wouldn't say we should force everyone into tabs, but having tabs available would be nice. I don't see how this would be a problem for the different OS versions as long as each new tab forks a new process (ala google chrome).

I do agree that the re-connect button would be great on the router disconnected page.

I also agree that minimising windows in winbox would be great I too suffer from having 10 things open and failing to find something that has gone behind the wall of windows.

Would it be too much of a security risk to 'open-source' the separate API used by winbox, and allow others to write their own clients for it? I would love a native Linux version and/or proper cross platform java client.

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:15 pm

If you use winbox on linux with a fixed IP config you need also to put in a gateway ... if not you can't use mac connect ...

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:30 pm

If you use winbox on linux with a fixed IP config you need also to put in a gateway ... if not you can't use mac connect ...
Yes that is another annoying problem I face a lot I have a desktop icon that calls a toggle script for when im out in the field. I see this more as a problem with particular *nix OS's though, and how they handle setting themselves to link-local and not continuously trying to connect.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:15 pm

What about inlining comments by default?
Having a nice table split by comments is not very productive. And to set that option on each list window is at least annoying.
Or at least a global "inline" checkbox, like "hide passwords"...

boen_robot
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:40 pm

Would it be too much of a security risk to 'open-source' the separate API used by winbox, and allow others to write their own clients for it? I would love a native Linux version and/or proper cross platform java client.
There's already a separate protocol, coincidentally named "API". It's even enabled by default in RouterOS 6.x, and can optionally use encryption since 6.1.

You could use it to write your own "proper cross platform java client".

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:14 am

There's already a separate protocol, coincidentally named "API". It's even enabled by default in RouterOS 6.x, and can optionally use encryption since 6.1.

You could use it to write your own "proper cross platform java client".
Yes I'm aware of the API and use it a lot, but it has limitations. The protocol used by winbox would be much more thorough in whats available (but to be honest I've never sniffed the traffic to find out!)

I'm very much considering writing my own client (for various reasons) so it may well happen.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:27 pm

Request from the dev's, would like to see winbox as only open one instance but have multiple tabs. When having 5+ winbox instances open it can get annoying switching between them all, a tabbed interface would be awesome!
++

As a configurable option of course so that those who oppose it won't get affected and those who need it will love it.

There are times where I have over 20 Winbox instances running and it's a mess working with 20 different windows. Especially in OSes without windows 7+ taskbar icons grouping.
Alt+Tab and all other shortcuts may help when using 4-5 winbox instances, but at some point it's not feasible.

Also there are situations where you need multiple winbox instances running at all times (i.e.: monitoring in real time).
Having multiple winbox instances on the taskbar becomes quite annoying after a while.

Definitely a much needed option.
Right now it reminds me of the IE 6 era with no tabs and a ton of open windows :P

falestiny
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:29 pm

+1

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:46 pm

It is much easier to switch windows by alt+tab than pointing at tiny tabs.
It's the same really. You switch tabs with ctrl+tab as you would do on any other program having tabs.

boen_robot
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:21 pm

Yes I'm aware of the API and use it a lot, but it has limitations. The protocol used by winbox would be much more thorough in whats available (but to be honest I've never sniffed the traffic to find out!)
If you're talking about the API protocol not having a way to tell the client its capabilities, you're - sadly - right, and what's worse is that MikroTik consider adding such a feature an extremely low priority.

If you're talking about about the commands unavailable from API... The vast majority of those commands are unavailable, because they're not needed anyway, since they're available at the programming language itself, e.g. "do", "for", etc.

The only limitation I can think of that is hindering API applications is the lack of the "~" operator in queries. Sure, you can check by regex on the client, but you need to fetch all items, before you can only then filter them, meaning that you're wasting bandwidth every time you need such a check.

internetolog
just joined

Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:54 am

Will be a perfect way to do that.
I manage nearly 100 routers and my taskbar is full of winbox'es. Tabs will be perfect for me.