Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

jeremyh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Config example for L2 WAN (ethernet over copper)

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi,

I am shortly going to receive a new internet service (known as 'ethernet over copper') - it is delivered as a L2 VLAN from the provided NTU. Up to 6 IP addresses can be used.

I really only have experience with PPPoE connections and am having trouble thinking how this connection type is implemented (both generally and in RouterOS). Would anyone be able to post some config export rules for me to see?

Thankyou,
Jeremy

rickfrey
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Config example for L2 WAN (ethernet over copper)

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Its just an Ethernet hand-off. You will either be using a DHCP client or you will be assigned a Static IP and Gateway. All in all, it will almost identical to other setups.
Launch your company forward with professional training!
http://rickfreyconsulting.com/product-c ... raining-2/

jeremyh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Its just an Ethernet hand-off. You will either be using a DHCP client or you will be assigned a Static IP and Gateway. All in all, it will almost identical to other setups.
Ah, fantastic. So I do not need to make any VLAN arrangements specifically for the connection, then.

I would have thought that if I were being given an IP and gateway, that would be referred to as 'layer 3' not 'layer 2', yet the connection type is consistently referred to, by the ISP, as 'layer 2'. I guess that threw me.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:24 pm

Maybe they will connect your port to their bridge. Hence the layer2... Better to ask them.

jeremyh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Maybe they will connect your port to their bridge. Hence the layer2... Better to ask them.
They supply a NTU, which I suppose is technically a bridge also.

I will ask them, but hoped to be able to find out for myself first. They are not usually very helpful with this kind of enquiry, unless it is of a very specific nature ('do I need to enable this particular function').