MikroTik App

drzen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

ip helper-address

Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi,

in Cisco there is ip helper-address. It's used to forward broadcast to unicast, specially in dhcp and bootp requests.
In mikrotik we have ip dhcp-relay that forward all dhcp request.

Now the problem: I'm tryng to setup a Apple osx netboot server that use a mix of protocol and request. All go right in the same subnetwork. But request don't traverse router.

The problem are these broadcast. osx netboot server act as a "partial dhcp server" and give some information to client.
Take a look at http://pivotallabs.com/using-deploystud ... not-taken/

I think that in mikrotik infrastructure there is a better path. But how?

v.

dtoffo
Trainer
Trainer

Re: ip helper-address

Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:38 pm

never tried, but I think that using a bridge with "use ip firewall" should give you the possibility to redirect and forward the packets..., have you already tried?

d.

drzen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: ip helper-address

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi,

in Cisco there is ip helper-address. It's used to forward broadcast to unicast, specially in dhcp and bootp requests.
In mikrotik we have ip dhcp-relay that forward all dhcp request.

Now the problem: I'm tryng to setup a Apple osx netboot server that use a mix of protocol and request. All go right in the same subnetwork. But request don't traverse router.

The problem are these broadcast. osx netboot server act as a "partial dhcp server" and give some information to client.
Take a look at http://pivotallabs.com/using-deploystud ... not-taken/

I think that in mikrotik infrastructure there is a better path. But how?

v.

/ip dhcp-relay solve problem because mikrotik forward all request to osx server without any others actions.
So if a client request an ip address or so one, mikrotik do its works acting as dhcp-server.
If client request other parameters mikrotik stay silence but acting as dhcp-relay forward request to osx server.

v.