Community discussions

mikropepe
just joined
Topic Author

How to change DNS servers?

Sat May 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to change DNS servers in my Mikrotik RB450G with 6.12 firmware version. I need to change DNS servers because I'm using DNS services like unblock-us or unotelly. In the router menu IP->DNS I add two new DNS servers, and then reboot the router and all devices connected to it.

Once the router & devices are restarted, the DNS don't change. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestion?

(Sorry for my english) :)

shahbazian
Trainer
Trainer

Re: How to change DNS servers?

Mon May 12, 2014 12:17 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to change DNS servers in my Mikrotik RB450G with 6.12 firmware version. I need to change DNS servers because I'm using DNS services like unblock-us or unotelly. In the router menu IP->DNS I add two new DNS servers, and then reboot the router and all devices connected to it.

Once the router & devices are restarted, the DNS don't change. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestion?
Hello,
I think you need a redirect rule to transparent dns cache. add the flowing rules:
/ip firewall nat
add chain=dstnat protocol=udp dst-port=53 action=redirect
add chain=dstnat protocol=tcp dst-port=53 action=redirect
Learn MikroTik to improve your network.
( MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE, MTCUME, MTCIPv6E, MTCINE )
MikroTik Certified Trainer & Consultant
RIPE NCC Trainer

mikropepe
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 12, 2014 9:55 pm

Hello,

Hello,
I think you need a redirect rule to transparent dns cache. add the flowing rules:
/ip firewall nat
add chain=dstnat protocol=udp dst-port=53 action=redirect
add chain=dstnat protocol=tcp dst-port=53 action=redirect

Hello shahbazian,

Thanks for your help. I solved the problem with DNS, unchecking the option "use peer DNS" in the "interface" menu.

shahbazian
Trainer
Trainer

Sat May 17, 2014 1:48 am

Hello shahbazian,

Thanks for your help. I solved the problem with DNS, unchecking the option "use peer DNS" in the "interface" menu.
When you have dynamic dns server(s) in '/ip dns' menu, This is perefred over static entry.
If you want have no dynamic dns entries in any client interfaces, like:"pppoe client", You can use the following option in the interface:
use-peer-dns=no
Learn MikroTik to improve your network.
( MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE, MTCUME, MTCIPv6E, MTCINE )
MikroTik Certified Trainer & Consultant
RIPE NCC Trainer