Community discussions

syadnom
Topic Author

queue on a bridge (odd config)

Thu May 15, 2014 8:06 pm

Due to reasons outside my control, I have a situation where I need to put a router side-by-side another router. My router is a 951g, the other is a cisco pix used for DHCP and the local network. The other router is completely outside my control.

The issue, with the other router hooked to the same cable modem (modem has a built in switch and 5 public IP addresses) I cannot QoS it and I have a VoIP pbx on site.

So, I'm thinking that if I created a bridge with the WAN+Ether5, assign my public IP to the bridge and plug the other router into Ether5 so they could assign another public IP then I could at least get their link in my control.

Here is the catch, how to heck could I apply a queue to traffic coming in that interface? Can I?

I realize there are other ways around this, but they all seem out of reach. 1) The provider for the cisco wont let me 1:1 NAT a public IP to their box. 2) they have only 4Mbps upload and there are file transfers across the VPN so I'm sure it will trash my SIP trunks, 3) other vendor is unable to do QoS on their router.

thoughts?

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: queue on a bridge (odd config)

Thu May 15, 2014 9:45 pm

I would have tried this:
1. Configure the modem as bridge, and connect RB951 to it. This way, it will be the RB951 who will manage it all, public IP, NAT, QOS etc.
2. Connect cisco to ether5 for example and PBX to ether4. Do a netmap on RB951 so that you can pass a public IP to the Cisco router. http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP ... :1_mapping
3. Try a simple queue on the ethernet interface where the Cisco router is connected (use interface as destination in the queue)
-Toni-
Don't crash the ambulance, whatever you do

syadnom
Topic Author

Thu May 15, 2014 9:52 pm

I would have tried this:
1. Configure the modem as bridge, and connect RB951 to it. This way, it will be the RB951 who will manage it all, public IP, NAT, QOS etc.
2. Connect cisco to ether5 for example and PBX to ether4. Do a netmap on RB951 so that you can pass a public IP to the Cisco router. http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP ... :1_mapping
3. Try a simple queue on the ethernet interface where the Cisco router is connected (use interface as destination in the queue)
Thanks for the suggestion, but as I stated in the op, the client won't accept the 1:1 nat

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 15, 2014 10:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but as I stated in the op, the client won't accept the 1:1 nat
Oops, missed that, sorry.
How do they achieve that anyway? I mean, what is the actual config of the nod? Is the modem in bridge-mode and the public IP is on Cisco? Can't they just assign a private IP on it so you can do netmap?
-Toni-

syadnom
Topic Author

Thu May 15, 2014 10:18 pm

It's charter, so modem is a router and there is a /29.

The person responsible won't accept a private IP and a netmap 'because'. So I'm a bit stuck

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Well, considering that modem does not have capability of limiting the bandwidth of an interface, you need to put the RB951 in between, or a small managed switch (like RB260GS) which can do the limiting.
You might want to try, to bridge ether4 and ether5 together on the 951 (in and out for cisco) and try to apply a queue on the bridge interface.
-Toni-

syadnom
Topic Author

Thu May 15, 2014 10:48 pm

Basically what I described in my op, question is, how can you apply a queue to a bridge? I can't reference the bridges members to put them in a queue and anything I apply to the bridge applies to both ports right?

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 15, 2014 11:23 pm

I have done sometime queue on ethernet interfaces, and it works. I have no experience on bridge interface, the only way to find out is to test it. If you apply the queue on the bridge, it will affect all interfaces on that bridge.
-Toni-