MikroTik App

lotnybartek
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Crashplan Cloud Backup eating all bandwidth - QoS help

Tue May 20, 2014 8:53 pm

Dear Users - this is my problem.

We are using Crashplan backup service to backup all our data. Now, their app is using almost all the upload bandwidth. That was the problem at the beginning, because first we've done backup of all our files ~ 70GB. Now, we backup continuously every file in real time, so all good.

Now, 6 users are connecting to our office from their homes using L2TP/IPSec. They are all using accounting programs to do their jobs. Those programs are all in DOS, and those apps open hundreds of files. Crashplan scans for file changes and upload every changed file to to cloud in the same second it changes. And while the Crahplan is uploading the files to the cloud, users are experiencing huge slowdowns. When Crashplan is disabled - everything is ok - so the problem is diffenietly with Crashplan app.

Crashplan app is using 443 port and it can mark it's TCP packets.

So I can set DSCP with 10 and then what?

I want to give L2TP/IPSec highest priority and lowest priority to the Crashplan (LAN to WAN as it's upload data only?)

This way, I could backup all data in real time and users would not experienced slowdowns.

How to do that?

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Crashplan Cloud Backup eating all bandwidth - QoS help

Tue May 20, 2014 10:15 pm

You would have to add a mangle rule to mark the packets like
/ip firewall mangle
add action=mark-packet chain=postrouting comment=crashplan dscp=2 new-packet-mark=crashplan passthrough=no
You would then just need to set up queues to make the traffic low priority.

The issue with QOS on windows is that it usually strips the info from crashplan. You will need to use a non "home" version of windows and add a QOS policy through the group policy editor to add the dscp tag on any traffic coming from crashplanservice.exe.

This was how I was able to get crashplan to work well for me.

lotnybartek
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed May 21, 2014 10:04 am

Crashplan is on Windows 2003 Server SBS so it might work. Thank for the tip.

But how to set up queues to make the traffic low priority?

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Here are my queues. They give voip traffic the highest priority, any regular traffic the next highest priority and crashplan traffic the lowest priority.

You would need to adjust to your environment (limit, max-limit, parent, etc)
/queue type
set 0 pfifo-limit=500
add kind=pcq name=pcq-crashplan-upload pcq-classifier=src-address pcq-total-limit=10000
add kind=pcq name=unmarked-pcq-download pcq-classifier=src-address pcq-total-limit=20000
add kind=pcq name=upload-unmarked-pcq pcq-classifier=src-address pcq-total-limit=10000
/queue tree
add comment="Parent IN queue" max-limit=55M name=Main-in parent=inside priority=1 queue=default
add comment="Parent OUT queue" max-limit=11M name=Main-out parent=outside priority=1 queue=default
add comment="Unmarked traffic" limit-at=8M max-limit=10500k name=default-out packet-mark=no-mark parent=Main-out priority=6 queue=upload-unmarked-pcq
add comment="Crashplan Traffic" limit-at=1M max-limit=7M name=Crashplan packet-mark=crashplan parent=Main-out priority=7 queue=pcq-crashplan-upload
add comment=voip-out limit-at=2M max-limit=4M name=voip-out packet-mark=VOIP-outbound parent=Main-out priority=1
add comment="Unmarked traffic" limit-at=52M max-limit=54M name=default-in packet-mark=no-mark parent=Main-in priority=6 queue=unmarked-pcq-download
add comment=voip-in limit-at=2M max-limit=10M name=voip-in packet-mark=VOIP-inbound parent=Main-in priority=2

lotnybartek
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri May 23, 2014 8:51 am

Thank you very much sir for you input. THANX. ;-)