Community discussions

MikroTik App

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB450 bricked after RouterOS upgrading. Any solution Pls?

Thu May 22, 2014 10:20 am

Hello There!

I decided to upgrade my RB450's ROS version v3.10 to v3.30, downloaded it from the Mikrotik's site and FTPed the packages to RB450, then done the reboot on winbox. When it got started NIC LED flashed (eth5, then eth4, eth3,.., eth1/poe), then I hear one 'beep' of slightly longer than usual system starts to load and that's all. No 'twice beep' as per during normal after router booting process, no IP & MAC connectivity on any winbox interface including eth1/poe. Please see the attachment.

I have also gone through the hardware reset process but nothing happened.

Also, gone through the netinstall process with null modem cable serial port connectivity, but nothing happened in the netinstall window and hyperlink terminal window. Please refer to the attachment.

Gone through the web to mugged up & study a lot on each and every topic from the Mikrotik to fix this problem on this, but no luck at all.

Any Mikrotik real expert and/or experienced user out there could fix this to me. I heartily appreciate his great support & assistance in solving this big routerboard's OS bricking/killing issue often related with the Mikrotik products. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB450 bricked after RouterOS upgrading. Any solution Pls

Thu May 22, 2014 9:30 pm

RouterOS 3.x are unsupported

use netinstall to install 6.13.

You can find some guide on google /wiki / forum for how to do that on netinstall also on virtually bricked devices.

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 22, 2014 10:55 pm

Your first screenshot shows that you uploaded mipsle packages to your mipsbe device. If you will netinstall the firmware for the correct architecture it should work better.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Your first screenshot shows that you uploaded mipsle packages to your mipsbe device. If you will netinstall the firmware for the correct architecture it should work better.
+1 but I can not add you karma....

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 23, 2014 3:39 am

You can find some guide on google /wiki / forum for how to do that on netinstall also on virtually bricked devices.
Thanks rextended. But afraid to say that i tried to search a lot on net to get the exact solution how to fix a bricked MT devices to this, but no luck at all.

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 23, 2014 4:34 am

Thanks rextended. But afraid to say that i tried to search a lot on net to get the exact solution how to fix a bricked MT devices to this, but no luck at all.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 23, 2014 5:59 am

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall
Thanks. but sorry bro i have been gone through this manual process, but nothing happened at all. Didn't seen any activity in netinsall and Serial Console window. Please see the attachment in my post.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 23, 2014 6:07 am

Attached is the screenshot of RB450 connection with serial port null modem cable, but no activity in hyperterminal window. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 23, 2014 7:49 am

If the router is alive, there should be some info from the bootloader on the serial port.

Are you sure the serial cable is wired as needed (there are different cables out there) and the terminal set to 115200 baud 1N8?
It would be wonderful if you could check the cable on another similar router...

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 23, 2014 8:24 am

If the router is alive, there should be some info from the bootloader on the serial port.

Are you sure the serial cable is wired as needed (there are different cables out there) and the terminal set to 115200 baud 1N8?
It would be wonderful if you could check the cable on another similar router...
I think serial console cable is straight forward no compatible circuitry with software driver needed with in it to connect to the PC. Please see the screenshot. Nothing happened as per the setting also. Sorry, right now i don't have any other router with serial port except this one. But it must response something. It got bricked not fried at all.

ZPrime
just joined

Fri May 23, 2014 11:57 am

I'm pretty sure the MTK hardware requires a null-modem cable -- if that is straight-serial then it won't work, and could explain why you see nothing.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Sy ... al_Console

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 23, 2014 1:59 pm

I'm pretty sure the MTK hardware requires a null-modem cable -- if that is straight-serial then it won't work, and could explain why you see nothing.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Sy ... al_Console
Okay thanks to inform! Could you please let me explain how to distinguish between special null-modem cable and straight-serial cable. In the wiki Manual there is tutorial how to use the cable with terminal, not explained any more about between special null-modem cable and straight-serial cable and its software requirement. By the way please see the above screenshot and let me know what type of cable i'm using? Thanks.

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri May 23, 2014 4:36 pm

You can't tell how a pre-made serial cable is wired by looking at it unless they were nice enough to stamp "Null-Modem" in the plastic shroud of the connector.

You can tell how a pre-made serial cable is wired by using an ohm meter to determine which wire is connected to which pin at each end of the cable.

Have you tried using the backup boot loader by pushing the button between the power connector and the serial port?

A cisco roll-over serial cable will work perfectly, if you happen to have one laying around.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 23, 2014 5:17 pm

You can't tell how a pre-made serial cable is wired by looking at it unless they were nice enough to stamp "Null-Modem" in the plastic shroud of the connector.

You can tell how a pre-made serial cable is wired by using an ohm meter to determine which wire is connected to which pin at each end of the cable.

Have you tried using the backup boot loader by pushing the button between the power connector and the serial port?

A cisco roll-over serial cable will work perfectly, if you happen to have one laying around.
Yes! i have been tried backup boot loader reset button between power connector and serial port even on the reset PCB jumper on board, but no luck at all. BTW thanks for your suggestion.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 23, 2014 7:33 pm

On a straight cable, all pins are connected 1 to 1.
A null modem cable will have Rx and TX switched: pin 2 to pin 3 and pin 3 to pin 2.
You need a null modem cable for this to work.

Basically you can make a cable only with 3 wires: 2->3, 3->2 and 5->5. It will work if handshake is turned off on the computer.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat May 24, 2014 4:01 am

On a straight cable, all pins are connected 1 to 1.
A null modem cable will have Rx and TX switched: pin 2 to pin 3 and pin 3 to pin 2.
You need a null modem cable for this to work.

Basically you can make a cable only with 3 wires: 2->3, 3->2 and 5->5. It will work if handshake is turned off on the computer.
Thanks Bro! Could you please send me the screenshot of wiring diagram and tutorial to how to try to make this cable own its own. Thanks.

npero

Sat May 24, 2014 7:10 am

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 24, 2014 9:23 am

It can't be simpler than this...
Just get 2 DB-9 female connectors (A and B) and 3 wires (you could strip the from an alarm or ethernet cable).
The pins on the DB-9 are numbered on the connector (look on the plastic part, there are some numbers there).
Connect as follows:
pin 2 on A to pin 3 on B
pin 3 on A to pin 2 on B
pin 5 on A to pin 5 on B

It works with 3 wires, but for a complete null modem cable check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:D9_Nu ... Wiring.png

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat May 24, 2014 6:29 pm

It can't be simpler than this...
Just get 2 DB-9 female connectors (A and B) and 3 wires (you could strip the from an alarm or ethernet cable).
The pins on the DB-9 are numbered on the connector (look on the plastic part, there are some numbers there).
Connect as follows:
pin 2 on A to pin 3 on B
pin 3 on A to pin 2 on B
pin 5 on A to pin 5 on B

It works with 3 wires, but for a complete null modem cable check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:D9_Nu ... Wiring.png
Thank you so much to make the things to understand simply and practically effective. Once again thanks for the great support. I'll go for this and let keep inform with the updated info whether got access the RB or not. Thanks.

jaytcsd

Mon May 26, 2014 6:21 pm

Even if hypter terminal has the wrong settings for baud and parity you should see characters being echoed or displayed. The manual says 9600 but I had to use 115,200, 8, none, 1 and none.
use VT100 emulation.
The 'connected' indicator is worthless, mine shows connected without a cable on the serial port as soon as I hit the enter key.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 27, 2014 6:23 am

Even if hypter terminal has the wrong settings for baud and parity you should see characters being echoed or displayed. The manual says 9600 but I had to use 115,200, 8, none, 1 and none.
use VT100 emulation.
The 'connected' indicator is worthless, mine shows connected without a cable on the serial port as soon as I hit the enter key.
Okay! Thanks for your assisting. Yes, it shows connected without any connected device. I am arranging the serial-null modem cable and keep update with the RB connectivity status. Thanks.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:53 pm

Hello There! After a long waiting i got the special Null modem cable as you suggested and follows the procedure as mentioned by all of you above. But unfortunately i am afraid to say that when connected this cable to RB450 and sett the hyperterminal window with the settings of 115,200, 8, none, 1 and none using VT100 emulation still window is not showing anything at all. Very disappointed. Any further support will be appreciated. Thanks.