Community discussions

lorsungcu
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Stability

Thu May 22, 2014 11:56 pm

Writing this hoping for a response from Mikrotik.

I use a ton of Routerboard stuff. Deploy routers with every install, use your wireless stuff when necessary, etc. Every chance I get. I think that will stop, though. At the moment, there is literally no stable version of the software. Sure, there are 5 different versions that do 5 different things in a somewhat predictable manner, but no version that can do what you advertise completely stably and predictably. I owe almost all of my routing and network knowledge to messing with these routers, and I'd be really bummed to have to learn a new interface/command line, but the fact is, I need it to work. And it doesn't. IPSEC is broken. L2TP is broken. PPTP was broken. BCP is still broken. CRS stuff is in an alpha state at the moment. Winbox crashes randomly. Despite a huge demand for it, you refuse to open a bug tracker, even if it were to be maintained by your support department. I have to buy twice the hardware simply to test new software versions and configurations. IPSEC functionality is barely documented for newer versions, yet you say that the issues from 5.x are fixed in it. That's great, but I haven't seen documentation. You release a new version and something is broken that is seemingly unrelated to any of the changes listed in the change log - something clearly is different, but you decided it wasn't worthy of being noted in the log? Resolutions for bugs aren't explained, it's just "here now it works". I'm buying some Ubiquiti Edgerouters, to see if they're any decent. If things go well, I'll begin replacing the routerboards I have deployed with them.

Please, please release a stable software version. I am done experimenting with this stuff; if there isn't a change in the way things are released, I'll find another vendor.

void
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Stability

Fri May 23, 2014 12:09 am

+1 !

scotthammersley
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 23, 2014 12:26 am

Its true that bugs can be frustrating, but you said something that I want to comment on.
I owe almost all of my routing and network knowledge to messing with these routers
Having used a large array of vendor's products, I can promise you that bugs are just as common everywhere else. The fact of the matter is, other vendor produce more expensive bugs to get frustrated with. One way you can to work up a solution prior to deployment is to use VMs to test everything. This will save you a lot of money and many hours onsite trying to solve problems. Check out this link for suggestions on running RouterOS in a VM:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Training_Labs
Expert consulting BGP | MPLS | OSPF | Adv. Route/Switch 1-855-645-7684
MikroTik Trainers
http://www.iparchitechs.com #1 ranked MikroTik consulting firm in North America

marizo

Fri May 23, 2014 12:36 am

I'm quite new in ROS. I've set up some links last year without profound knowledge, just copy-paste from example.
For about month i hardly learning MT features. After reading that and similar threads, I understand my confusion why my script works in older version, but is broken after upgrade. It's difficult to learn something, if I even not sure it should work or it shouldn't cause a bug or changes.
For example - migrating from wireless to wireless-fp package variable changed $frequency to $channel. Why?
script for catching wireless frequency isn't working anymore without changes..
/interface wireless monitor wlan1 once do={:global freq $frequency}
/interface wireless monitor wlan1 once do={:global freq [:pick $channel 0 4]}
Yes, I only use a little bit of ROS features (home AP or PtP NV2 bridge), but it's not an excuse.

lorsungcu
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri May 23, 2014 12:38 am

Its true that bugs can be frustrating, but you said something that I want to comment on.
I owe almost all of my routing and network knowledge to messing with these routers
Having used a large array of vendor's products, I can promise you that bugs are just as common everywhere else. The fact of the matter is, other vendor produce more expensive bugs to get frustrated with. One way you can to work up a solution prior to deployment is to use VMs to test everything. This will save you a lot of money and many hours onsite trying to solve problems. Check out this link for suggestions on running RouterOS in a VM:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Training_Labs

Yeah, I've done this. I expect issues now and then. If you think the amount of problems that 6.x has introduced is acceptable, you're delusional.

scotthammersley
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 23, 2014 5:06 pm

Your welcome to your opinion. However, working with a large array of vendor hardware including MikroTik, bugs are apart of life.

Yes, 6.x has introduced quite a lot of bugs that Mikrotik has had to address, but nothing compares the Cisco Nexus platform. Upgrade early and often is the mantra with that platform.
Expert consulting BGP | MPLS | OSPF | Adv. Route/Switch 1-855-645-7684
MikroTik Trainers
http://www.iparchitechs.com #1 ranked MikroTik consulting firm in North America