Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

mimoace
just joined
Topic Author

Image of RouterOS

Mon May 22, 2006 10:44 pm

Dear All....
Can any one tell me what is the best way to keep an Image of your HDD where the RouterOS is ....
and how can you manage this especially when u wanna format and restore from that image ... so that it functions normally
Regards
Mimoace

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue May 23, 2006 4:37 am

Do you mean under Files > Backup

mimoace
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 23, 2006 7:20 am

Do you mean under Files > Backup
No I mean using any other image program like Norton Ghost taking a snapshot to my harddisk :?:

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 23, 2006 8:44 am

it is not recommended and may not work. there is no reason to reformat RouterOS HDD often

mimoace
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 23, 2006 8:59 am

it is not recommended and may not work. there is no reason to reformat RouterOS HDD often
Ok Normis ... I know I messed up something trying to get an image for my router, just in cace if its crashes any way I lost the licence again and now trying to contact support for replacement of the key...
what i understand its no way to take an image of my hard disk...
so what do u think can i replace the key with my licenced one so I can continue...
also there is a big future for mikrotik down here in Iraq and Im trying to get uset to it, ISPs requesting it so much.
Mimoace

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 23, 2006 7:27 pm

Use HDD with at least 5 year warranty (they last as long as the warranty at least) or use flash with lifetime memory warranty (they last about 5 years at least).

No need to image the disk unless you try to use the same license twice - which is not possible. If the HDD fails ask for a replacement key, if you just want to reload it use netinstall or just use /system reset.

Sam

mimoace
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 23, 2006 11:49 pm

Use HDD with at least 5 year warranty (they last as long as the warranty at least) or use flash with lifetime memory warranty (they last about 5 years at least).

No need to image the disk unless you try to use the same license twice - which is not possible. If the HDD fails ask for a replacement key, if you just want to reload it use netinstall or just use /system reset.

Sam
Thanks Very Much to all for the advice....
and special thanks to Normis :D
mimoace