Community discussions

MikroTik App

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

CCR VPLS performance, 10g

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:54 am

I was planning on using a few CCR1036s for a connection between datacenters. Now I'm not so sure. Asking those that have tried. What kind of single connection TCP performance can one expect between 2 CCR1036s over 10gig VPLS?

Is it going to be limited to 1gig?

Kreacher

Re: CCR VPLS performance, 10g

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:39 pm

Hello,
What kind of single connection TCP performance can one expect between 2 CCR1036s over 10gig VPLS?
I really think that the MikroTik CCR series is really fast and powerful device, but for a 10 GBit/s
WAN line I would suggest you more the CCR1072 Core variant, that is matching more
this filed and the league where a 10 GBit/s WAN uplink would be placed in.

On top and according to the circumstances what SwissWISP was writing down
it should be better to wait at first that RouterOS v7 comes out and then waiting
until RouterOS v7 is production ready as I am seeing it right now.

The CCR1036 series would be enough for setting up 10 GBit/s to Switches in the LAN or DMZ
without no problems, but on the WAN side totally other rules and even also protocols
would be matching the hole "game" and so it is more sufficient for me to use a CCR1072
model on the WAN site if you are dealing with 10 GBit/s uplink.
Is it going to be limited to 1gig?
At this time in the moment I must revise my opinion based on the facts Mat was pulling
out, for sure then it is limited to 1 GBit/s.

@Mat
Thanks for bringing in the news about the ROS ver. 7.x
Perhaps this could be something for you to read?
Tilera white paper over the architecture and performance of the TILE-Gx family

This comment was edited and corrected by me so the text has changed!
Last edited by Kreacher on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwissWISP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:11 pm

[...] What kind of single connection TCP performance can one expect between 2 CCR1036s over 10gig VPLS?
Currently one connection can't be distributed over multiple cores. From what you can read in this forum, 1G is about the max a core can push. So I would say that you won't get much more than 1G on this single connection. Be it on a 1009 or 1072...
I was told that RouterOS v7 should support the distribution of one connection over multiple cores.

- Mat

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:52 pm

That is what I was looking for.. Where did you hear that v7 is going to support spreading connections over multiple cores?

Whats the word for an ETA on v7?

In a nutshell, I need high speed, redundant L2 connectivity from one datacenter to another. Just running an L2 vlan won't work because one of the alternate paths for a failsafe will be over a vpn via internet. Vmotion and iscsi can use a lot of bandwidth in a single TCP stream and 1gig won't cut it...