surfnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

IPv6 Backbone with IPv4 Clients

Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:30 am

We are running out of IPv4 IP addresses to give for static IP customers
We have been assigned an /48 IPv6 subnet
We are trying to route our backbone links with IPv6 only and then use Ipv4 on the AP/Hotspot interfaces in an effort to only use IPv4 at the outer edges of our network.

It seems like everything I read talks about 4to6 tunnel, which is opposite if what I want. The average customer is not ready for IPv6 , but the ISPs have a much better handle on it.

I have routed IPv6 throughout our network and can use it to get to any MK on our network. Now I am trying to have a IPV4 on my computer and route it over the IPv6 network with some kind of tunnel.
I have setup a IPIPv6Tunnel on the far end MK and the core MK and routed the IPV4 address over that tunnel. I can ping and get DNS and traceroutes only show 1 hop and does not show the 6 IPV6 links in the middle.
The problem is that I cannot get to certain sites.. Like wellsfargo.com or speedtest.net. I dont understand why I would be able to get to some sites and not others..
any help with the tunnel or any ideas of how to accomplish what I trying to do would be much appreciated.

slackR
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: IPv6 Backbone with IPv4 Clients

Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:39 am

You have many options with Mikrotik. You could use IPv6 endpoints with EoIP, GRE or IPIPv6 tunnels to transport IPv4 to your access points over IPv6. Or you could setup MPLS over private IPv4 to transport public IPv4 to your access points. There are alot of possibilities depending on your IP skills and hardware/network configuration.

Ethernet over IP (EoIP) Tunneling is a MikroTik RouterOS protocol that creates an Ethernet tunnel between two routers on top of an IP connection.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/EoIP
Interface gre6 is a Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) tunnel over IPv6 network. It can encapsulate IPv4 or IPv6 network packets and transfer them over the tunnel.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/Gre6

The problem is that I cannot get to certain sites.. Like wellsfargo.com or speedtest.net. I dont understand why I would be able to get to some sites and not others..
If the IPv4 packet is 1500 bytes and then it is encapsulated in a IPIPv6 tunnel (+20 bytes?) you will need to
increase the MTU on the physical Ethernet interface to 1520 or possibly more. I'm not sure I would have to bust out my calculator or Wireshark.
+-------------------------+
| IPv4 - 20 bytes         |
|  10  byte control flags |
|  2 byte total length    |
|  4 byte source addr     |
|  4 byte dest addr       |
+-------------------------+
| IPv6 - 40 bytes         |
|  6 byte control flags   |
|  2 byte payload length  |
|  16 byte source addr    |
|  16 byte dest addr      |
+-------------------------|
Last edited by slackR on Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

surfnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:56 am

thanks for the info
What I am using now is IPIPv6 and it works for 80% of the website.. I cant understand why I cant get to certain websites.

What is the difference between GRE6 and IPIPV6 ?
I don't think EoIP will work, I want to route the IPv4 to the AP and I think EoIPv6 makes a bridge, not a routable tunnel.. but I could be mistaken;

slackR
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:04 am

I believe a GRE tunnel also bridges and it can transport more than just IPv4 similar to EoIP. Also, this tunnel will not give you hops on the IPv4 network. No matter how many devices are on your IPv6 network the tunnel will only be one hop.

Your description about only being able to get to some websites might be related to your MTU on the network interfaces. See my edit above.

surfnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:39 pm

are you saying to increase the MTU on my computers Ethernet? I don't this that is a good solution as I cant expect all my clients to understand how to do that. The IPIPV6 Tunnel has a field for MTU and its default is set at 1460, I will set it to 1520 and see if that helps.

surfnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:07 pm

I just tried with GRE6 and had the same problems. some sites work, others don't. wpcentral.com never works and wellsfargo.com seems to work 1/2 the time.. very strange.
Of course if I switch back to total IPv4 routing , everything works perfect..

any ideas?

tetecko
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:36 pm

I just tried with GRE6 and had the same problems. some sites work, others don't. wpcentral.com never works and wellsfargo.com seems to work 1/2 the time.. very strange.
Of course if I switch back to total IPv4 routing , everything works perfect..

any ideas?
Use IPv4 private segment for infrastructure and public IP just for clients..

surfnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:23 am

Use IPv4 private segment for infrastructure and public IP just for clients..

how does that utilize the IPv6 backbone?

slackR
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:27 am

If you are using any tunnel you will need to either decrease the TCP MSS on the routers or increase the MTU on the routers to allow larger Ethernet frames through your routers on your network. What you described sounds like you are trying to browse to websites and the TCP packets are being dropped.

If you put IPv4 inside any IPv6 packet you will need to increase the MTU on the routers to pass the tunneled traffic.

surfnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:28 pm

where would I increase the MTU? on the wlan or the Ethernet?
Would I have to increase the MTU on all the routers in between?
thanks

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:34 pm

where would I increase the MTU? on the wlan or the Ethernet?
Would I have to increase the MTU on all the routers in between?
thanks
It definatelly sounds like MTU issues from what you are describing.

You will have to increase the transport MTU over the whole transport infrustructure, so the customers have an untouched 1500 MTU.

Watch the presentation in my sig, its about MPLS, but about 20 minutes of it is MTU talk, and its exactly what you need to know to fix your MTU problems when encapsulating normal IPv4 traffic in an IPv6 IPIPv6 or GRE6 tunnels.

Ask after if you have questions.