Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

LACP Question...

Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:20 pm

Hello,

Here is my Setup...

Downstair (the office) :

- Mac Desktops connected to a MikroTik Router 1100AHx2
- The network has the gateway connected on the 1st ethernet interface of the Router 1100AHx2

Upstair :

- Mac Desktops and Mac Mini Server connected through a MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S

From this setup i want to link the MikroTik Router and Switch together with 2 Gigabit ports using LACP.
I want to get 2GB of bandwidth between these 2.

So i've tried setting up a bonding interface using the 802.3ad protocol and it worked but...

From my Mac Desktop (connected downstair), i tried to download or upload files to the Server (upstair), so i used the bonding link.
It started fast and then just lagged, freezed, continued, freezed again, etc... until it finally retrieved the file...

I've set up the bonding interface using the MikroTik Wiki page (http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:In ... ng#802.3ad) and i've bridged it to the other ethernet ports.

Any tip please?
Is this setup achievable?

Thank you.

rwaters
just joined

Re: LACP Question...

Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:12 am

I recently bought CRS226 switch to link to my CCR1009 while the brochure claimed 802.3ad(x) compliance I did not find out until after purchase ($300US) and reading the wiki that this is not yet implemented. Seems to be the norm here, show some nice specs ....and then maybe actually get to implementing them later.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CR ... s#Trunking

CRS back in the box, netgear PROsafe switch actually implements LACP from 4 years ago

jkarras
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:28 am

Was going to say I am pretty sure LACP is all done in software on both of these platforms at this point. As was mentioned the CRS will support it in hardware in the future.

Between that and the bridge on the 1100AHx2 lots of CPU hit is probably the problem.

phuketmymac
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:39 am

Thanks for answering.

So you mean that this model of CRS will never be able to do it?

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:00 am

CRS already does it in Hardware...

At least CRS125-24G-1S-RM does

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:23 am

If Mikrotik to Mikrotik, i find non 802.3ad a better load balance, using balance rr instead since both ends should support it.

The wiki states 802.3ad is not yet implemented in the switch chips on CRS ranges, however I dont have one to test with.

You could do it in software/CPU with normal implementation, but whether the CPU can push that much bandwidth would come into question.

phuketmymac
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:53 am

Thanks i will try that then.

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:07 pm

I do have CRS and I use LACP...

In WinBox its under Switch features and called "trunk", and AFAIK it is done in Switch HW as it doesnt seem to tax CPU whatsoever.

AlexS
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:56 pm

I had issue with my ccr and lacp, upgraded to the latest version of firmware and all was okay!

mpreissner

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:06 am

Unless they snuck in a feature update without telling anyone, the LACP that is support on the switch chip does not provide bandwidth aggregation, so your 2x 1Gb interfaces are still only providing a maximum of 1Gb of bandwidth to your server. The LACP is only providing path redundancy and possibly load-balancing. At the present time, bandwidth aggregation is only provided by the CPU using the Bonding feature, which is very resource intensive. Running more than a few bonded interfaces typically pushes the CPU utilization higher that most people are comfortable with.

Of course, LACP for bandwidth aggregation is going by the wayside in the industry at large due to the affordability of 10Gb network infrastructure. Most servers either ship with 10Gb NICs or have them available for a very low price. I believe that even MikroTik has announced a 12x SFP+ port device is in the works. With that kind of bandwidth available on the cheap, it all comes down to having path redundancy if one link goes down, because few of us actually need more than 10Gb bandwidth to any one server.

jkarras
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:22 am

If hashing is set to MAC-IP-port you will get some bandwidth increase out of a single host. Only 1Gig per stream though as mentioned. In my experience it balances out pretty well.

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:28 am

Well 802.3ad states that bandwith is aggregated aswell...if you have multiple data streams... :roll:
• Does not increase the bandwidth for a single
conversation
• Achieves high utilization only when carrying multiple
simultaneous conversations
http://www.ieee802.org/3/hssg/public/ap ... 1_0407.pdf

Anyway I cannot test it currently as I have Major construction works at home and my CRS went back into the box temporarily.

onnoossendrijver

Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:06 am

Regarding load-balancing with LACP... Mikrotik switches behave exactly the same as other switches with LACP functionality.
You need more than one session to use the extra bandwidth.
Windows 2012/8 with SMB3 supports the 'multichannel' feature to achieve higher bandwith with a single action. 'Under the surface' it creates more than one session.

phuketmymac
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:52 am

Hi,

Etz is right, it has the LACP trunk feature in its hardware.
However the router doesn't.

Does that mean that i can not use this feature between the switch and the router?

Thanks.

Yurezplace
just joined

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:55 am

So you guys is saying that the switch chip has LACP features with our without making a trunk (Tagged/Untagged) frames and you only need to configure the switchports as "/interface ethernet switch trunk" and add interfaces as member ports, and then configure the other side of the cabeling connections as LACP Active and and LACP Channel will be created?

Are you also sure that you haven't just configured your devices to talk LACP but they actually can't form a fully functional LACP link?

I bought this beast as my main switch and I couldn't use LACP when I tried to configure it. What a bummer.
http://routerboard.com/CRS226-24G-2SplusRM

Thanks for all your replies.
Your help is really appreciated!

// Yurezplace

TheIce
just joined

Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:21 am

I do have CRS and I use LACP...

In WinBox its under Switch features and called "trunk", and AFAIK it is done in Switch HW as it doesnt seem to tax CPU whatsoever.

could you describe your config and benchmarks (with CPU utilization)? Desiding to buy switch and I will need LACP, so confused on does it supports LACP with other-non-Mikrotik switch/hardware...