Community discussions

MikroTik App

grzesjan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Difference between hotspot and normal dhcp?

Fri May 26, 2006 11:57 am

Hi

Today I have a config, that Mikrotik is a router serving dhcp based on radius. When I have started to go deep into configuration, I have realised that some important features are only in hotspot mode, not in normal dhcp (for example advertise-url).

What is the difference between hotspot and normal dhcp? My typical setup is one mikrotik serving ~200-300 customers on 2-4 subnets. Mikrotik acts as a dhcp server (based on radius), dns proxy, nat and simple packet filter.
Can I use hotspot for such configuration as above? I want for example to make advertise for unpaying users (dear user, you have forgot to pay, in ten days your internet access will be blocked). What are the advantages and disadvantages in comparision dhcp/radius to hotspot/radius?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gregor

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 26, 2006 12:03 pm

DHCP simply gives your customer an IP address and does nothing else. Simple and unsecure.

HotSpot gives your customer a login page, a ton of authentication features, univercal-client (customer can have anything in his TCP/IP settings, his internet will still work), statistics, bandwidth control, user manager, reports etc.

grzesjan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 26, 2006 12:09 pm

DHCP simply gives your customer an IP address and does nothing else. Simple and unsecure.
HotSpot gives your customer a login page, a ton of authentication features, univercal-client (customer can have anything in his TCP/IP settings, his internet will still work), statistics, bandwidth control, user manager, reports etc.
Yes, I know it, maybe I have asked wrong question. Can I use hotspot just in the way I have used dhcp? I don't want login page, the only authentication will be based on radius, I want everything similar to dhcp, the only functionality from hotspot I want to use is advertise-url.

Can I do it?

Regards,

Gregor

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 26, 2006 2:29 pm

yes, you can use mac-authentication in hotspot, without the login page. it will still have the rest of the hotspot features, like adverising.

grzesjan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat May 27, 2006 11:11 pm

yes, you can use mac-authentication in hotspot, without the login page. it will still have the rest of the hotspot features, like adverising.
OK, I have done it, two questions:

1. I have set up login-type=mac, but from time to time first web page I see after requesting an IP is login page. Sometimes the login page is bypassed, sometimes it is displayed. What can I do to make it not appeare at all or reload very quickly (yes, I know I can submit fake login page, but can it be done using configuration items?)?

2. Adverstising is broken? Even if I set Advertise-Interval to 30m and Advertise-timeout to never or immediately, ads are shown every web page I see. What can I do to show only one ad per 30 minutes?

Gregor