Community discussions

MikroTik App

zhall
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

state of the latest BGP?

Fri May 26, 2006 6:34 pm

So is anybody using the latest mikrotik advanced-routing BGP in production? I'm just curious as to what their thougts and impressions are of it and if all the kinks seem to have been worked out.

Thanks in advance,

Zach

grzesjan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: state of the latest BGP?

Sat May 27, 2006 6:31 pm

So is anybody using the latest mikrotik advanced-routing BGP in production? I'm just curious as to what their thougts and impressions are of it and if all the kinks seem to have been worked out.
I use routing-test package and I can not recommend it to use in production. Many things require reboot, system is unstable, very high loaded. Checking of some things is very hard (how to get know, what prefixes are announced to a peer?). Mikrotik guys have much work to do.

Gregor

karyal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 28, 2006 12:51 am

I use routing-test package and I can not recommend it to use in production. Many things require reboot, system is unstable, very high loaded. Checking of some things is very hard (how to get know, what prefixes are announced to a peer?). Mikrotik guys have much work to do.

Gregor
I'm using it, and i can say i find it pretty stable.
No great problems so far (it's been up for about one month on a network with over 30 backbone nodes and over 200 total nodes).
I'm not doing much more that using it for internal routing, as for ebgp i'm using quagga.
There are no stability issues, and no need to reboot (2.9.23, routing test, using RB532).
The only real problem i've found is that there is almost no documentation at all!
Bye,
Ricky

grzesjan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 28, 2006 9:28 pm

I'm not doing much more that using it for internal routing, as for ebgp i'm using quagga.
There are no stability issues, and no need to reboot (2.9.23, routing test, using RB532).
The only real problem i've found is that there is almost no documentation at all!
Bye,
Ricky
For internal routing mikrotik's bgp is fine :)
The problems occur with full bgp feed.

Gregor

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 28, 2006 9:54 pm

We had to limit our 2 providers feeds to customer gateways only (~18,000 routes) to keep Mikrotik stable/responsive gui. That box is still on 2.9.6 - hopefully with the optimizations that have been done > .13 or so will allow us to upgrade. We have been running on it with almost no problems for almost a year. Almost means we had MT lockup twice but I am not really sure if that was related to the BGP or not.

Is there anyone with a Cisco that will allow me to peer temporarily for some 2.9.24 testing (with full routes)?

Sam

karyal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 28, 2006 9:59 pm

Is there anyone with a Cisco that will allow me to peer temporarily for some 2.9.24 testing (with full routes)?

Sam
If you don't mind peering with a quagga box you can count on me..

nikhil
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 29, 2006 3:09 pm

For internal routing mikrotik's bgp is fine :)
The problems occur with full bgp feed.

Gregor

We used 2.9.19 for full bgp works fine. ISP end are Cisco 12000 and Junipers (m20).
2 Peers full bgp feed

advantz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 29, 2006 11:59 pm

not stable in my case, isp end is cisco, running ebgp multihop

my end is :
2.6ghz dual core
intel 945g mobos
1gb ram
64mb ide flash
3x 10/100 rtl8139c
1x 10/100/1000 intel gbnic

don't know if this hardware problem??

Interface facing to ISPs sometimes having timeout, that's why bgp peering with them dropped when this happens.

thanks

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 30, 2006 5:15 am

I am guessing the realtek cards are problematic in that case above.

Sam

advantz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 30, 2006 8:05 am

yeah, i thought so :D

cos I'm using pci riser card for 3 of the ethernet cards (I don't have low profile ethernet bracket), so It shares irq resourcess (irq 11)

Will try to change to intel cards then, thank you