mp3turbo2
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

2.8.16 wireless slowness fix

Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:17 am

hello all,

> fixed problem - wireless was performing slower then could;

may we know what was fixed here? And probably what is / should be the performance difference ?

thanks!

Borage
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:35 am

Now I understand what you're talking about, in Mikrotik 2.8.16, I'll get only 90-100 kilobytes per second with my atheros 5212 cards. What's wrong with the G mode? In 802.11b, the speed is 500-600 kilobytes per second.

pauljatho

Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:03 pm

I had speed issues on 5.8Ghz with 2.8.17, uploaded wireless-legac package and it sorted out all of my speed issues.

pritchie
just joined

Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:24 pm

Hin Pauljatho, please could you expand on your above post? I am using v2.8.17 so would be interested to know more details of your 'speed issue'!
See my posts elsewhere about other problems I have had and fixed.
Thanks,
Peter.

pauljatho

Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:29 pm

Hi Pritchie

I was previously running 2.8.11 on all of my routerboards, last week after some testing I decided to upload version 2.8.17. Everything worked very well but when I did a bandwidth test on the mikrotik's I found that all of my 2.4Ghz links were fine speed wise and that all of my 5.8Ghz links had dropped in throughput substantially. To give you and idea I have a 19Km 5.8Ghz link that used to report +-12Mbps when I ran the bandwidth monitor, after the upgrade I was battling to get 1800Kbps. My other 5.8Ghz link (+-20Km) used to have 16Mbps, after the upgrade this was also down to about 1800Kbps. I tried everything, Nstreme, frequency changing etc .. but to no avail. I then uploaded the wireless-legacy package and rebooted my Mikrotik and the speeds were back to normal.

I have subsequently been told that you need to first remove the wireless package and then install the wireless-legacy package, I however did not do this but have not yet experienced any problems so it's up to you.

Hope this is of help, give me a shout if it is not.

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Uninstall

Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:07 am

Graet! :x
Am I going to loss setting if I uninstall the wirelss package and reinstall wireless-legacy? I dont want to screw up a working network.
And how do I uninstall and reinstall, do I do a downgrade on the wireless and ftp the new wireless-legacy then reboot.
HELP!!!!!!! :?

pauljatho

Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:07 am

You will not loose your settings but you will loose your wireless connectivity until you reinstall the wireless package. I would however suggest that you first backup your config.

Here are the steps
Backup the system (/system backup save)
Make SURE that you have connectivity on the ethernet port or serial port,
Remove the existing wireless package (/system package set wireless uninstall=yes) then reboot the router. You now do NOT have any wireless connectivity.
Upload the wireless-legacy package (via ftp) and reboot the router.
Reload your saved backup (/system backup load backup_filename)

That should be it. I have tested this method on v2.8.18 so it should be pretty safe.