Community discussions

MikroTik App

elfking
just joined
Topic Author

How to set fanspeed ? manual fan mode...

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:38 am

I have an 1100AHx2 which is being used in a small office since it has the nice hardware encryption. However the fan spinning up and down frequently on its own is driving people crazy. Seeing as the temp for the device is way low on its threshold i was going to try and set the fan speed manually and watch the temps. That said I can't get it to make any changes. I set it to manual mode and see no way to set fan speed via Winbox, then looking at the console I get some adjustments but nothing seems to take effect.

I also can't find any documentation on the Wiki for this... or I am just blind at the moment. :)

Operating temperature range -30C to +60C
[admin@MikroTik] /system health> print
           fan-mode: manual
            use-fan: main
         active-fan: main
            voltage: 12.3V
            current: 1070mA
          fan-speed: 5442RPM
        temperature: 27C
    cpu-temperature: 37C
  power-consumption: 13.1W
Trying to set via console commands:
[admin@MikroTik] /system health> set  
cpu-overtemp-check          fan-mode          heater-control    psu2-state
cpu-overtemp-startup-delay  fan-on-threshold  heater-threshold  use-fan   
cpu-overtemp-threshold      fan-switch        psu1-state
when I 'set use-fan=auxiliary' it takes the command and switches the fan. However when I try to 'set fan-on-threshold=50C' it the fan speed stays the same. I would expect it to turn off until the cpu-temp reached 50C ?

Any help on this would be great, I also don't see a way to say 'set fan-speed=2000RPM' or anything of that manner...

I have also read some have swapped the fans out for other quieter aftermarket ones but I would prefer to try and adjusting these first..

Thanks for the help,
-Brian

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: How to set fanspeed ? manual fan mode...

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:13 am

it is not possible to control FAN speed manually on any of RouterBOARD products. Some support automatic fan speed control, but that is it.

elfking
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:47 pm

it is not possible to control FAN speed manually on any of RouterBOARD products. Some support automatic fan speed control, but that is it.

Ok thanks for that info. What is the difference between auto and manual then ? ( fan mode )

Does the 'fan-on-threshold' work? I might be able to just set the fan on threshold to something higher and they can live with that.. setting it I see an an entry in the log file but fans keep spinning (even when setting higher then current temp)

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:57 am

if router has more than one fan and they are plugged correctly, then manual will let you choose between main and auxiliary fans. In auto mode fan sense is used, and fan that is detected is span up. If it stops router will attempt to span up another fan and will switch between fans automatically.

threshold will work only on router that has 1 fan header.

Saro
just joined

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:46 pm

Hello,

for some reason the fans started doing more noise than before. so i bought new one with lower power (W). but the thing is that the fans now keep alternating on and off.
is there any way to give it a fixed power?

profound
just joined

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:55 am

I am using this script to toggle between a fast main fan, and a quiet but slower auxilary fan:

Running via scheduler every 15 seconds:
/system script run FanControl
:if (([/system health get cpu-temperature]> 60) && ([/system health get use-fan]="auxiliary")) do={
  [/system health set use-fan="main"];
}
:if (([/system health get cpu-temperature]< 55) && ([/system health get use-fan]="main")) do={
  [/system health set use-fan="auxiliary"];
}