Community discussions

MikroTik App

brainchild
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik Security at Defcon

Wed May 31, 2006 6:16 pm

I am curious what everyone thinks about the hardness of the security on the MikroTiks? Of course much of security depends on how much thought is put into the configuration, but there are also posible vulnerabilities and attacks on the Network Operating System.

I am going to Defcon 2006 and got an idea that I should try to configure a MikroTik router (probably a routerboard 532, I haven't decided yet) to take as a test to see how secure the NOS. I know there would be ways to totally take down the device, or overload it, but this would not necessary be a security risk as no breach into the device or the protected network would be made.

If anyone would like to help me I would like to configure a router as a test, to see how secure a MikroTik can be, but still be usable (remotely administered, and posibly use VPNs).

Let me know what you think.

meshnet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 31, 2006 6:19 pm

Hey, I'll be there too..

I would be fun to throw one in the CTF network, and
see if it gets taken down..

Richard

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:51 am

you should definetly try :) will wait for results. make sure you configure it properly

brainchild
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:25 pm

I haven't started working on it yet, but I will get a base configuration up and post it so we can go over it as a forum to perfect it.