Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

tomswenson
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Is there any way to get this NTP client to work???

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:54 pm

I have a RB2011UAS now upgraded to 6.18. I was at 5.xx, but couldn't never get it to work, so I upgraded. I have tried all I can think of to get this to work.

1. turned off all firewalls
2. used different and/or multiple or the same time servers
3. upgraded firmware
4. specifically open ports 123 all directions.
5. browsed the forums, couldn't find anything that worked.
6. install NTP package, same thing.

The client seems to be started, but the clock never sets. I had debug/logging running on the built-in NTP client, didn't tell me anything, mostly that it is waiting 16 minutes to not work again. Something like that. Those particular logs are gone as I had to reboot as I installed the NTP package.

I guess I'm out of ideas other than replace the box.

Tom

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is there any way to get this NTP client to work???

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:08 pm

Been there and still there.

For a few O.S. versions, many of my Mikrotik devices can no longer get the time from my Ubuntu NTP servers.
I don't know if it is a problem with routed hops or firewalls or what. All that I can say is that it used to work on all my Mikrotiks everywhere, then a few versions ago some of my more remote Mikrotiks in the networks simply could not get the time from my NTP servers. The only thing that started the problem was simply upgrading the Mikrotik O.S. software.

tomswenson
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:54 pm

I just installed a new RB2011UiAS-2HnD yesterday, SNTP worked perfectly on 6.18. Sure can't explain it.

Tom

nje431

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:27 am

I had a similar issue several months ago. The NTP client would work with public NTP servers, but not our Windows time server. After much back and forth with Mikrtik tech support, they finally said they found the issue and would be working on a fix.

In the process, I found that if you just need the time client, and not the server, you can disable or uninstall the NTP package, and the SNTP client becomes active and works properly.

Cheers.

tomswenson
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:11 pm

So far I'm trying to get the NTP to work to a public server, but no go. I also only installed the NTP server/client when the SNTP client didn't work. I guess I'll just have to replace the box or maybe factory defaults and reconfigure.

Thanks,

Tom

sjwrick
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:30 pm

I started including the ntp package in my routers and the client started synchronizing again.

Mind you, I did not enable the ntp server. Just uploaded the ntp package and rebooted.

Now my systems are show correct date and time.

This has fixed my issue on all platforms mipsbe ppc tile

Rick