Community discussions

MikroTik App

johanh13
just joined
Topic Author

Ports Going Dead with UBNT Radios

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 am

I have at least five RB1200 routers that have ports that quit passing traffic, for no apparent reason. These routers are located at my towers and plug into UBNT Rocket M5's and Titanium Rocket M5's. The temporary fix is to disable/re-enable the interface a couple of times. Then they work again for random amount of time, from hours to weeks... Can anyone shed any light on this? The problem only started after FW update from 6.7 to 6.11. I have upgraded all routers now to 6.18, and at least five routers still have this problem (I have 24 of these routers, they do not all do it)...

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Ports Going Dead with UBNT Radios

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:17 am

I would look at the grounding on these radios. Make sure the shield on the ethernet cable is properly connected so that static can drain off the radio properly.

johanh13
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:48 pm

I would look at the grounding on these radios. Make sure the shield on the ethernet cable is properly connected so that static can drain off the radio properly.
Already doing that... this only started with the routerOS upgrade... Also, downgrading the routers back to 6.7 does not solve the problem...

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:29 pm

Possibly because the ports were physically damaged while. RouerOS happened to be on version 6.11/18. Especially if you've had weather events during the time since you left 6.7.

I'm not saying that is absolutely what happened, just that it is a good probability.

I have not seen your symptoms on my network without environmental issues being a higher correlation factor than OS version.

johanh13
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:31 am

Possibly because the ports were physically damaged while. RouerOS happened to be on version 6.11/18. Especially if you've had weather events during the time since you left 6.7.

I'm not saying that is absolutely what happened, just that it is a good probability.

I have not seen your symptoms on my network without environmental issues being a higher correlation factor than OS version.

Well, that would be strange, since most of these routers are on water towers where the APs and Backhauls are at the same height (on the fence of the walkway around the water tank). AND, this problem only affects ports that are connected to access points. Also, if the ports were damaged, how would they keep working again, sometimes for weeks, with just a change in the ethernet settings? Also, please note that there are no errors, drop packets, et cetera, on any of the ports that keep going dead...

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:39 am

are those FM radio towers ?

johanh13
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:35 am

are those FM radio towers ?
No, they are water towers...

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:16 am

Well, that would be strange, since most of these routers are on water towers where the APs and Backhauls are at the same height (on the fence of the walkway around the water tank). AND, this problem only affects ports that are connected to access points. Also, if the ports were damaged, how would they keep working again, sometimes for weeks, with just a change in the ethernet settings? Also, please note that there are no errors, drop packets, et cetera, on any of the ports that keep going dead...
If you don't want to buy in to the environmental conditions partially damaging ethernet ports theory, I would suggest you also downgrade the routerboard firmware as well as the routeros. If you want to do a full test you could netinstall them then restore a backup of the config from before you upgraded to 6.18.

I have not lost a lot of ethernet ports on my base of (water tank or erector set) tower routers, RB4xx, RB2011. I think I've replaced 3 or 4 RB4xx devices due to ethernet ports/switch chips going bad on my 60 or so towers.

I have lost several ethernet ports on my Ubiquiti RocketM devices. The best indicator that the cable has gone bad or the ethernet on the Rocket is bad is to look at the speed at which it auto-negotiated with the MikroTik. They are usually at 10Mbps. Sometimes disabling and re-enabling the ethernet on the MikroTik will get a damaged Rocket to re-negotiate at 10Mbps, sometimes 100Mbps. I watch the MikroTik logs for etherX down events and we go swap equipment and cables around when we see a lot of those events. Sometimes we lock the Rocket and the MikroTik at 10Mbps to get us through until we have time to get out to a smaller site.

Come to think of it, we may lose more UBNT gear on water tanks than on erector set towers. Hmm. We have a lot of water tank sites. Most of them are tall cylinders rather than elevated bulbs with catwalks. I'm not sure what the ratio of tanks to radio towers is. I may have to gather data on failed ethernet on both types of tower, if I get time.

johanh13
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:14 am

If you don't want to buy in to the environmental conditions partially damaging ethernet ports theory, I would suggest you also downgrade the routerboard firmware as well as the routeros. If you want to do a full test you could netinstall them then restore a backup of the config from before you upgraded to 6.18.

I have not lost a lot of ethernet ports on my base of (water tank or erector set) tower routers, RB4xx, RB2011. I think I've replaced 3 or 4 RB4xx devices due to ethernet ports/switch chips going bad on my 60 or so towers.

I have lost several ethernet ports on my Ubiquiti RocketM devices. The best indicator that the cable has gone bad or the ethernet on the Rocket is bad is to look at the speed at which it auto-negotiated with the MikroTik. They are usually at 10Mbps. Sometimes disabling and re-enabling the ethernet on the MikroTik will get a damaged Rocket to re-negotiate at 10Mbps, sometimes 100Mbps. I watch the MikroTik logs for etherX down events and we go swap equipment and cables around when we see a lot of those events. Sometimes we lock the Rocket and the MikroTik at 10Mbps to get us through until we have time to get out to a smaller site.

Come to think of it, we may lose more UBNT gear on water tanks than on erector set towers. Hmm. We have a lot of water tank sites. Most of them are tall cylinders rather than elevated bulbs with catwalks. I'm not sure what the ratio of tanks to radio towers is. I may have to gather data on failed ethernet on both types of tower, if I get time.
At first I did not upgrade the FW only OS, then when the problem popped up, I downgraded back to 6.7, to no avail. Then I upgraded to OS 6.18 and also upped the FW... Also, please note that the auto neg rate never drops! only the throughput goes to zero. And, after the disable/enable, they are still at 100 or 1000 (depending on whether the AP is Titanium or regular M5)... Some of the towers that have had the problem have not had a symptom in several weeks. However, three of them (one water tower, two guyed towers) have increased the frequency of symptoms in the last week... ARGH

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:45 am

Only reason here for broken ethernet interfaces is lightning, and then only in combination with omnitiks ( no grounding ) ... with 793 / 2011 / CRS / CCR no problerms at all (Metal boxes, grounded)

500 sites, + 3000 devices