Community discussions

MikroTik App

Rowan
just joined
Topic Author

WAN to LAN routing from Multiple WAN with different latency

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:05 pm

Hi to you all.

I'm reaching out for a bit of advice. I'm providing a temporary network for a festival. We always have a challenge getting connectivity to random places in a field.

So in this instance we will be using several sources. Different clients onsite have different requirements. Low mid and high priority.
Untitled (1).png
I don't think load balancing would be a good idea due to massive latency difference, what I would like to achieve is to be able to route-

Satellite load balanced WAN to a specific interface for low
ADSL load balanced WAN to a specific interface for mid
Fibre line to WAN to a specific interface for high

I'll then VLAN at core switch, so then when I do different SSIDs on access points.

So would mangle be the best way do do this? I'm not very good at that yet.

If anyone has any great ideas I would karma you forever, also a bit of a sense check to see if there are any huge holes in this plan.

Thanks

Rowan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TrollMan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: WAN to LAN routing from Multiple WAN with different late

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:11 am

Using mangle and routing marks, then adding routing paths for each mark you can force the clan traffic to different wan interfaces.

Rowan
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:09 pm

Using mangle and routing marks, then adding routing paths for each mark you can force the clan traffic to different wan interfaces.

Thanks Trollman, I had a feeling it was something like that. I'm still getting my head around mangle so I'll have a go at programming something.

Any idea if all dns requests can be routed via the path of least latency?

Cheers

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:07 pm

You can do absolutelly whatever you need.

Route all DNS over a single connectivity, route rest distributed over other connectivities, etc.

Its really only up to your how you want to do it, when its just a matter of proper Mangle config.

TrollMan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:26 pm

I use mikrotik device as dns, then for traffic from mikrotik to dns server I route through one specific wan, so yes it can[WHITE SMILING FACE]