Community discussions

MikroTik App

sebadamus
Topic Author

New problems appears 6.19 kernel failures

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:44 pm

Hello,

My problems continues and new appears.

Here the last posts, also I tried official support but seems they are working to fix and discover the bugs.
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86003
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87523

Now I am on 6.19 and after upgrading, now the Address Lists behaves strange, here attached a picture that will explain almost itself.

If you add the value to the Address List in DHCP Server (B), Leases, it adds OK, but you get an error in log (A), BUT you havent really any address list on Firewall, Address Lists (C). As you can see on (B) there is no address list defined but on (C) there are some dynamically defined... but they aren equal when they should because I assign them from DHCP Server (B). My guess, might be wrong, is that the address lists are "kept hidden" someway and that why the router gives the error log (A)

More strange is that after assigning Address Lists on (B), you get the log error (A), the lists save on Firewall, Address Lists... then after some seconds... I see DHCP Server, Leases, Address Lists column gets cleared, just as if some script resets them, leaving as you can see on (B). I have no scripts doing this kind of thing.

OK, I think I will delete every address list assigned to clear the values... so I delete every list from (C) and (B anyway its empty, I set it and delete it.)
So no values on (B) nor (C).
I set again values on (B), I let each PC on the lease to re obtain IP address, then I assign there each one to the Address List I want.
They appear on Firewall, Address list (C) as assigned dynamically.
I get the error on the log (A)
And the values disappear from column Address Lists (B) one by one :shock:

And to finish you get kernel failure after some minutes/randomly.

I have been having problems from 6.15+, I test this on two same model RB751U-2HnD routers.

So I think I will go back again to 6.13 or 6.14 :(

Hope this can help someone with the same problems or similar ones.

PD: There is a bug I think someone can confirm if they have 6.15+ versions... if you open Tools, Profile... you get a blank window and the router starts consuming the whole memory until it reboots, here a picture too (this comes from 6.16 if I remember well, same result from terminal...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sebadamus on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sebadamus
Topic Author

Re: New problems appears 6.19 doesnt solve... kernel failure

Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:34 am

OK, I tried some stuff more.

To be more clear, hopefully... I think the problem is that mikrotik router keeps some trash configuration "somewhere" so when you upgrade (dont really know exactly why or how) some configs/packages remains "hidden" making the router do strange things like I post here.

I could solve it thanks to a tip from Jarda here: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87523

So I did this steps, hopefully my routers will continue working right, if not I will come back here.

0) I first run from terminal: export file=MyRouterConfig and save it on my desktop for later restore.
1) reset router configuration from winbox
2) wait router to reboot completely
3) reset router config with hardware button (the one you press, connect the power, wait about 15 secs until ACT led start flashing, and release.
4) wait router to reboot completely
5) run netinstall 6.19 and installed complete upgrade package once routeros-mipsbe-6.19.npk (I think this is neccesary if you have previous version so it upgrade the bootloader, because if I didnt the netinstall stopped at "Sending offer..." not being able to upgrade)
6) wait 5 minutes to be sure everything ends rightly, and repeat 3) and 4)
7) run netinstall 6.19 again, but this time I installed each package individually:
advanced-tools-6.19-mipsbe.npk
dhcp-6.19-mipsbe.npk
hotspot-6.19-mipsbe.npk
ipv6-6.19-mipsbe.npk
mpls-6.19-mipsbe.npk
ntp-6.19-mipsbe.npk
ppp-6.19-mipsbe.npk
routing-6.19-mipsbe.npk
security-6.19-mipsbe.npk
system-6.19-mipsbe.npk
wireless-6.19-mipsbe.npk

8) wait 5 minutes to be sure everything ends rightly again, and repeat 3) and 4)
9) restore my config from terminal with: import file=MyRouterConfig
10) uninstalled packages I dont want (ipv6-6.19-mipsbe.npk and mpls-6.19-mipsbe.npk) and reboot again.
11) for now it works right! and Tools, Profile works and no kernel failure for the moment... also Address Lists works as they used to.

Hope this helps...

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New problems appears 6.19 kernel failures [SOLVED]

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:01 am

I am glad it helped you. Thank you for credits and karma. Everything is easier if you are updating to newer version, than the netinstall can be avoided just by pasting wanted packages into files and reboot. But anyway install by netinstall is always the best. You didn't need to perform point 10 if you were just select only wanted packages in point 7.

I wish mikrotik sended his devices with the only system package installed and let customers to add who needs what.

sebadamus
Topic Author

Re: New problems appears 6.19 kernel failures (almost solved

Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:19 pm

Hello Jarda!

I delete the "SOLVED" subject on my posty, the stuff I wrote here about the Address Lists strange behaviour, continues to happen :-/

But at least: Tools, Profile works and I have no kernel failures by the moment!

About what you said of point 10 and 7, you are right, but I did this way thinking it will "overwrite" what was original installed by all-packages (nevermind I uninstall the packages at last)

Any idea about this thing with Address Lists from DHCP Server, Leases?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New problems appears 6.19 kernel failures

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:21 pm

Expecting you do not want to add leased address to an address list.

Seems there is a bug. If you populate the address list field of some lease and press ok, then if you open it and "hide" the field address list and press ok again, the field vanishes, the value vanishes from export and from print command but it is still active there.

Solution:
Open the lease, unhide the field address list, delete the content and press ok.

If it helps, send e-mail to support@mikrotik.com and report a bug.

Kadafi

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:10 pm

Any info from support? They ignoring us, [Ticket#2014090166000323]
We have the same problem with address lists..

Kadafi

Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:43 pm

Will be fixed in 6.20

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:50 pm

Great information.