Community discussions

MikroTik App

kapusta_kiszona
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Serious problems with Atheros cards - THREAD REMOVED

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:50 am

What happened to thread http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=8719 ???

There was very interesting discussion about radios loosing signal by 30dB in Atheros 5213 cards. Somebody lost a bunch of cards and the issue looks like being incomfortable to forum administrators.

This have to be explained. Removing posts which describe potential huge problems in my oppinion is very bad. I can't no longer trust MT team when they censor such messages. Until this problem will be solved I'll switch with my shopping for other systems.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:57 am

I know nothing about this thread being removed. What was the topic please. Can you describe the problem again?

if it was the topic with `REALLY ANGRY` in the subject - it was probably removed because of serious cussing and bad words.

kapusta_kiszona
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:22 pm

Yes, it was it.
Maybe just remove some posts, not all topic. Problem is important.

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:31 pm

I was surprised it lasted more than 24 hours :lol:

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Serious problems with Atheros cards - THREAD REMOVED

Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:45 am

What happened to thread http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=8719 ???

There was very interesting discussion about radios loosing signal by 30dB in Atheros 5213 cards. Somebody lost a bunch of cards and the issue looks like being incomfortable to forum administrators.

This have to be explained. Removing posts which describe potential huge problems in my oppinion is very bad. I can't no longer trust MT team when they censor such messages. Until this problem will be solved I'll switch with my shopping for other systems.
A lot of people on these forums have a knee jerk reaction to blame the manufacturer for their own misconfiguration, misapplication, or just ignorance when it comes to RF and IP. I'm not saying the manufacturers are incapable of making mistakes, it just doesn't happen as often.

If there truely was such a problem with this chipset I believe you'd see a lot more posts related to it. I use the AR5213 chipset quite extensively, and have noticed no such loss of signal. Hell there isn't even a Atheros card that puts out 30dBm (1WATT) of power! So how do you lose more than what you started with?

Such a loss in signal would tell me that there was a bad physical layer component (possibly a radio), or moisture in the LMR connection, etc etc...

I applaud the mikrotik team for removing such posts, as long as it was removed due to lack of supporting data for the claim. We want this forum to have HELPFUL information, not rediculous claims with no real data to back it up.

-Bill

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:08 am

Yes, it was it.
Maybe just remove some posts, not all topic. Problem is important.
no it was not important, all users agreed that this one person had problems with his configuration and application of devices.