Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

zildzic
just joined
Topic Author

Ping works, telnet, winbox, webbox don´t

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:16 pm

I have a strange problem. Have MT with one ethernet and one wlan card. I am trying to connect me from outside to MT ( I have a public IP address) but it does not work (telnet winbox and webbox) , but ping works without any problems. I am not using any firewall or something like that. I suspect that the line is faulty, but my ISP sad if ping works it is not the line problem. I need some solution urgent.
Thanks

pekr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:15 pm

Not sure it is the same problem. Three times already our router was in the state, that it was working, web was accessible, we could ping to it, but it refused whatever connection. "Starting Winbox" was last message, then it said something like "connection refused", don't remember correctly.

As for ssh/telnet, it accepted name, but it lasted 10 sec or so for password prompt to apper, then another 10 - 30, and finally "Access denied" appeared.

Router restart made it accessible once again. Scary anyhow, I thought it was hacked and password changed or so, but it was not the case .... Noone reacted to my message so I am not sure what is going on ...

-pekr-

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:05 am

I had similar things on two boxes running 2.7.x back then sometimes ;)
This symptom only appeared after roughly about 200 day of uptime and was also solved by a reboot.
Haven't seen it since then on any of my boxes. I SUSPECT a memory leak was the culprit back then, but can't confirm of course...

Best regards,
Christian Meis

djape

Re: Ping works, telnet, winbox, webbox don´t

Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:47 am

...but my ISP sad if ping works it is not the line problem. Thanks
Not necessarily true, they maybe blocking all traffic except known one (21,25,53,80,110, icmp etc) so you cant access particular ports.
You should check with them, but first make sure that your config is ok.

Cheers...
I drink like a pirate and smoke like a hippie...