Community discussions

MikroTik App

Gr0ove
just joined
Topic Author

CRS VLAN multiple tagged/trunk ports case study

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a CRS226-24G-2S+RM, and I've been struggling to setup a connection for some ESXi servers that have several virtual machines on them in different vlan's, and I've attempted numerous configurations without no luck...

The idea here is to setup a few interfaces as trunk so that most of the vlan's (yes most of them but not all of them, the idea is to have a management vlan with private addressing) of each ESXi server can be accessed from the outside (WAN/internet), ether1 will have a public IP address and it will be in a DMZ provided by another L3 switch so that it can be directly accessed from the outside via vpn for remote management (the IP on ether1 is for that purpose only).
Most of the virtual machines are running services with public IP addresses such as webservers, e-mail servers and so on.

Here some schematics about what I've been trying to achieve for several days now with no luck at all:

I've been able to test with access/untagged ports with computers and such and succeeded with non-aware vlan devices but, my struggle is how in the hell do I configure multiple tagged vlans/trunk in a mikrotik CRS for me to get access from the outside for services like webservers and such?

Before someone asks me if I read the information in these links:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CRS_examples
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CRS_features

Yes I have...I've followed those steps and the only thing I was able to put it to work was the first port based VLAN example...

Any inlightening in this issue would be highly appreciated, or I'm about to put the CRS's on a shelf waiting for the VLAN configuration became a bit more compreensive in future RouterOS versions...

Thanks in advance and best regards
Last edited by Gr0ove on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

becs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: CRS VLAN multiple tagged/trunk ports case study

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:39 am

The "tagged-ports" option in "egress-vlan-tag" table allows multiple values to support tagging on multiple ports.
/interface ethernet switch egress-vlan-tag
add tagged-ports=ether2,ether7,ether8 vlan-id=200
add tagged-ports=ether2,ether6,ether8 vlan-id=300
add tagged-ports=ether2,ether6,ether7 vlan-id=400

Gr0ove
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Well...unfortunately the tagging isn't working for some reason, done everything has the examples and has becs said and I'm still haven't been able to have a port with no tagging + vlan500 (for example)

only been able to setup access ports, the rest nothing...

CRS's are crap dealing with vlan traffic...

Gr0ove
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:01 pm

For example, I want ether10 in a no-vlan network (vlan 0) so it would be untagged for vlan 0, and I want it to be tagged in vlan 500.

Trunk port where all vlan's traffic will go thru will be ether1.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:
/interface ethernet
set ether10 master-port=ether1
untagged:
/interface ethernet switch ingress-vlan-translation
add ports=ether1,ether10 customer-vid=0 new-customer-vid=0 sa-learning=yes
tagged:
add tagged-ports=ether1,ether10 vlan-id=500
vlan membership:
/interface ethernet switch vlan
add ports=ether1,ether10 vlan-id=0 learn=yes
add ports=ether1,ether10 vlan-id=500 learn=yes
disable unknown vlan's:
/interface ethernet switch
set drop-if-invalid-or-src-port-not-member-of-vlan-on-ports=ether1,ether10
Afterwards I connect a PC to the ether10 and I get an IP via DHCP server of the correct vlan 0 network, "BUT" after 3 seconds it loses connectivity to the network and the IPv4 connectivity of the PC network adapter goes from having internet from not having and I can't ping other devices in the same network...

Not getting why it's doing this, strange... :(
Last edited by Gr0ove on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

becs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:49 pm

The current configuration does both tagging and untagging on both ports at the same time which seems to cause the problem.

Trunk ports typically do not need ingress VLAN translation rules.
And the ingress VLAN tranlation rule makes untagged traffic to be a member of VLAN500, therefore VLAN0 is not necessary.
This should be correct configuration:
untagged:
add ports=ether10 customer-vid=0 new-customer-vid=500 sa-learning=yes
tagged:
add tagged-ports=ether1 vlan-id=500
vlan membership:

Gr0ove
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:58 pm

First of all thanks for the help ;)

But with the configuration that you told me I've just put ether10 only in access mode/untagged for vlan 500, so every vlan non-aware device will connect to vlan 500 network and it's not what I'm looking for.

The goal here is to configure ether10 to have an untagged vlan (normal network without any tagging) and a tagged vlan 500, so that when I connect for example a ESXi vmware server the physical NIC stays in the untagged network and a virtual machine in vlan 500 (the virtual machine is already in vlan 500 in it's network configuration).

I can do that very easily with another standard L2 manageable switch and it works fine, I'm having trouble only with mikrotik tagging and untagging logic and procedures.

becs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:27 pm

I got it now. :) Such configuration should already work with default settings or simply with a group of switched ports because all VLANs are allowed by default.
You do not need to do tagging or untagging on the CRS, just configure VLAN filtering to allow certain VLANs and block others.
/interface ethernet

add ports=ether1,ether10 vlan-id=0 learn=yes

Gr0ove
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:29 pm

Hi again and thanks for all your help so far :D

But CRS still isn't isolating things right, so I connected the ESXi server to ether10 and the virtual machine in vlan 500 comunicates fine but for the network of the physical NIC in default vlan that isn't the case unfortunately...it loses packets all around, try to ping the NIC and in 50 pings it only responds to 15 and randomly

Something is missing in the configuration or there's bugs in RouterOS in terms of vlan functions :-|

This is becoming annoying...Mikrotik should arrange a more simple and effective method of working with vlans has other manufacturers do :cry:

Gr0ove
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:41 pm

I think I discovered what the problem was...looks like the CRS doesn't like too much default vlan (or vlan 0) :lol: so just because, I tested the next setup:

In ether10 I've configured for another vlan to be untagged other then vlan 0, for example, I've configured vlan 99 to be untagged and afterwards just added ether1 and ether10 to vlan 99 membership and now my ESXi server physical NIC connects to vlan 99 and the virtual machine connects to vlan 500 without the need of tagging in the CRS of some sort which I'm not used to see or think :oops: oh well at least I discovered why I wasn't succeeding by trying to configure default vlan in the physical NIC...

Such has this basic schematics:

My configuration:

create group of switched ports:
/interface ethernet
untagged:
add ports=ether10 customer-vid=0 new-customer-vid=99 sa-learning=yes
vlan membership:
add ports=ether1,ether10 vlan-id=99 learn=yes
disable unknown vlans:
I know that at first sight it looks simple and it really is but the default vlan situation was giving me a headache so this was the only way I've discovered to do what I've needed...but I still think the way mikrotik switches deal with vlans it's weird...

Gr0ove
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Hi again,

Looks like the procedure I last described wasn't exactly what it was intended...

Is there any way of doing the schematics in the picture below without any routing at all? Or I'm obligated to do routing?

I'm running out of ideas... :cry:

Thanks in advance

becs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:21 am

Try the following configuration, it should work wire-speed and without routing.
/interface ethernet
set ether11 master-port=ether1

add ports=ether10,ether11,switch1-cpu vlan-id=99 learn=yes
add ports=ether1,ether10,ether11 vlan-id=500 learn=yes
set drop-if-invalid-or-src-port-not-member-of-vlan-on-ports=ether1,ether10,ether11

#CRS226 management configuration
/interface vlan
add name=vlan99 vlan-id=99 interface=ether1
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 interface=vlan99 network=192.168.88.0
I would like to know details about what is not working if it is not working.

Gr0ove
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi there, thanks for the reply

My question here is, internet comes in without any vlan or tagging of some sort because it comes from another switch of the ISP that provides direct internet connection, so will it be possible for virtual machines in vlan500 to pass directly to the internet and maintain isolation from management vlan99? Wouldn't be needed some kind of tagging for the incoming traffic that comes through ETHER1 for it to distinguish what goes to where?

The goal I'm looking for is isolate both vlan's from each other (as obvious) with only vlan500 accessing directly to the internet. Vlan99 as I mentioned in the schematics it would be only for local management or remote management through VPN connection to the mikrotik.

Thanks

becs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:48 pm

The previous configuration would work if the Internet comes in with tagged VLAN500.

When you have to start dealing with tagging and untagging in CRS switch-chip, both Ingress VLAN translation and Egress VLAN Tag tables have to be configured for particular VLAN, in this case VLAN500.
add tagged-ports=ether10,ether11 vlan-id=500

add customer-vid=0 new-customer-vid=500 ports=ether1 sa-learning=yes
Note this configuration will do your required forwarding except CRS will not be accesible from the Internet (CRS won't be accesible from ether1 port).

Gr0ove
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks again for the quick reply,

I've tested both scenarios that you've suggested and for the configuration:
/interface ethernet

add ports=ether1,ether10,ether11 vlan-id=500 learn=yes
set drop-if-invalid-or-src-port-not-member-of-vlan-on-ports=ether1,ether10,ether11

#CRS226 management configuration
/interface vlan
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 interface=vlan99 network=192.168.88.0
I lose connection to ether1 from outside and can't get to the virtual machines on the other side either when inserting command:

In the second configuration method that you suggested, if remote access can't be implemented it would be useless for my situation :cry:

Maybe it can't be done with Mikrotik CRS only in layer 2, I don't know...maybe I'll be obligated to use routing

becs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:59 am

I modified configuration to allow remote access to CRS226 from ether1 port too.
Also I set VLAN filtering in the last place in configuration, probably, access is lost to the CRS before all necessary configuration is applied.
P.S. IP addresses are just for an example.
#Group of switched ports
/interface ethernet

#CRS226 internal management
/interface vlan
/ip address
add address=10.0.0.1/24 interface=vlan99 network=10.0.0.0

#CRS226 external management
/interface vlan
add name=vlan500 vlan-id=500 interface=ether1
/ip address
add address=20.0.0.1/24 interface=vlan500 network=20.0.0.0
/ip route
add gateway=20.0.0.254

#VLAN trunk ports
add tagged-ports=ether10,ether11,switch1-cpu vlan-id=99
add tagged-ports=ether10,ether11,switch1-cpu vlan-id=500

#VLAN access port
add customer-vid=0 new-customer-vid=500 ports=ether1 sa-learning=yes

#VLAN filtering
add ports=ether1,ether10,ether11,switch1-cpu vlan-id=500 learn=yes

Gr0ove
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi there, thanks again for the reply

I have a question (maybe a stupid one but I want to learn and understand this), so if the internet traffic comes without any tagging at all, how will the virtual machines comunicate directly to the internet only through Layer 2?

The traffic from the internet comes untagged right, and will it be tagged to vlan500 when it enters CRS and will be untagged when exiting? Don't know if I've made my self cleared :lol:

And just another thing, in the "/ip route add gateway=20.0.0.254" don't I have to define the destination address also? Like 0.0.0.0?

Thank you

becs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:44 pm

I have a question (maybe a stupid one but I want to learn and understand this), so if the internet traffic comes without any tagging at all, how will the virtual machines comunicate directly to the internet only through Layer 2?

The traffic from the internet comes untagged right, and will it be tagged to vlan500 when it enters CRS and will be untagged when exiting? Don't know if I've made my self cleared :lol:
The traffic in CRS from ether1 to ether10 & ether11 will be tagged with vlan500 and traffic from ether10 & ether11 to ether1 in CRS will be untagged. The Internet will not know anything about vlan500.
And just another thing, in the "/ip route add gateway=20.0.0.254" don't I have to define the destination address also? Like 0.0.0.0?
"/ip route add gateway=20.0.0.254" is the short version of command, because "dst-address" parameter already has default value - "0.0.0.0/0"

Gr0ove
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi becs,

Sorry for the late reply, just to say it worked like a charmed ;) fully tested and doing what it was intended, thanks for all your great help :D

Best regards