Community discussions

MikroTik App

ncd
just joined
Topic Author

pppoe_client and vlan access port

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:37 am

Hi All,

I'm trying to get my head around whether this is possible or not or if I'm missing the point entirely.

I've a RB2011 which I'm using to try and test this out on - eth10 connected to a VDSL modem establishing a pppoe session and allocating an IP by DHCP. I can ping the next hop and if I set the default route out of this connection I can ping other IPs via the pppoe connection. All good so far.

On the same RB I have a number of vlans defined, a trunk port and a number of ports acting as access ports to the vlans. On one of the vlan access ports I have a host with an IP that is in the same subnet as the DHCP allocated one on the local end of the pppoe connection but I can't ping the pppoe IP unless I add an IP (also in the same subnet) to the vlan and then setup routing between the vlan interface and the pppoe client interface. I'm guessing this is because the ping is coming in tagged from my access port and the pppoe client interface isn't tagged.

For this particular scenario I've only a /28 available so I'm trying not to use an IP on the vlan interface if I can help it!

Is it possible to add a pppoe-client to a tagged vlan?

Am I missing something really obvious here?

Any hints/tips/advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
N