pnajm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

WMM over WiFi

Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:12 pm

Hello my scenario is the following...
I have 2 sites bridged together by 2 mikrotik devices,
1st one is ap bridge 802.11 wmm enabled and second one is station bridge 802.11, also wmm enabled.
my main router is also mikrotik 450g
i have a voip gateway at 192.168.88.250.
how can i use wmm to make qos for voice work on both sites.
where do i have to set the dscp values and how.

thanks

pnajm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: WMM over WiFi

Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:53 pm

i forgot to mention my map

pbx>>>>main router>>>AP bridge wmm.........................Station bridge wmm>>>>ip phone.

so what should be done to have a clear voice.

TonyJr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:50 am

As it is a bridge, ignore wmm. Use mangle rules to mark VoIP traffic with a custom mark or set the required DSCP values, and mark other traffic too. Then use queue tree to add two queues, one for VoIP and one for unmarked traffic and set the priorities to your requirements.

I am tired, and cannot remember if you have to mark 'all other' traffic for queues to work. I don't see how it would work without doing that though. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong :-).

TonyJr

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk

TonyJr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:53 am

The reason I say to ignore WMM is that it works good for e.g. iPhone to AP connection, but for bridge, you would have to configure the bridge to set wmm parameters for which packets it is forwarding. I don't even think you can set the wmm queue for packet/connection in routeros. Best to stick with DSCP in my opinion.

pnajm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:38 am

The reason I say to ignore WMM is that it works good for e.g. iPhone to AP connection, but for bridge, you would have to configure the bridge to set wmm parameters for which packets it is forwarding. I don't even think you can set the wmm queue for packet/connection in routeros. Best to stick with DSCP in my opinion.

so are you saying that if it is a wireless bridge wmm cannot work? or it just works as ap and client (iphone - laptop) but not another Ros station?.
can you help me on how to set the priority on the packets and how can i let them pass to the other other side of the bridge.. do i have to configure them on each device in the bridge or just one time in a device across the link.

Kickoleg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:11 am

pnajm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:27 pm

Links were helpfull, but can i implement qos in my network on layer 3 dscp values? or is just for internet purpose only?
considering my setup it is layer 2 bridge between the 2 sites, so how can dscp values be any good? :)

pnajm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:24 am

TonyJr, any suggestions, please this is very important to me :)