MikroTik App

engineertote
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

MT ,, we need real stable version ,

Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:44 am

Mikrotik Guys

please we need one real stable version in the year instead of releasing monthly non-stable testing versions
since you start V6 and till now we never see any 100% stable version

for years i'm sending to MT support asking to fix the queue issue that its can not limit high BW , and they just fix this in 6.21 that its have alot of other bugs .. we can wait for long time but please we need stable version at least one time .

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: MT ,, we need real stable version ,

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:36 am

Mikrotik Guys

please we need one real stable version in the year instead of releasing monthly non-stable testing versions

for years i'm sending to MT support asking to fix the queue issue that its can not limit high BW , and they just fix this in 6.21 that its have alot of other bugs .. we can wait for long time but please we need stable version at least one time .
+1

kometchtech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:39 am

Mikrotik Guys

+1

And I think as you say you.
I want you to put out a stable Version which gave priority to stabilization.
And because it's hard to explain the stable version to customers.

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:51 am

Mikrotik Guys

I do not know if you are in any way related to software development, but if software is developing there are no such thing as "real stable version" :)

If we consider all RouterOS features, average MikroTik user uses only ~0,05% all available features, of course each of us slightly different set of features, but each puts in the forum as most important set of features :).

For example i was in no way affected by 6.21 problem upgrading from v5 - i do not have any routers on v5 any more. so for me 6.21 was completely fine, and with ping to local host fixed - best version ever :), but it was pulled from web and replaced with v6.21.1...

So my point is - you do not need ""real stable version", you need version that works with your 0,05% of features.

engineertote
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:53 pm

do you think so :?

Mikrotik Guys

I do not know if you are in any way related to software development, but if software is developing there are no such thing as "real stable version"

If we consider all RouterOS features, average MikroTik user uses only ~0,05% all available features, of course each of us slightly different set of features, but each puts in the forum as most important set of features :).

For example i was in no way affected by 6.21 problem upgrading from v5 - i do not have any routers on v5 any more. so for me 6.21 was completely fine, and with ping to local host fixed - best version ever :), but it was pulled from web and replaced with v6.21.1...

So my point is - you do not need ""real stable version", you need version that works with your 0,05% of features.

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:56 pm

Mikrotik Guys

I do not know if you are in any way related to software development, but if software is developing there are no such thing as "real stable version" :)

In the software development world, "stable" almost always means "reasonably stable for its intended use(s)". Exceptions include, I suppose, developing software that controls a nuclear power plant or a NASA spacecraft. RouterOS is a networking OS, and it is inteded to be used by network admins to a high degree, not just to the 0,05% from the average home user. So in this case "stable" would mean something like Cisco, where bugs may of course be present but extremely hard to run into, because the prevalent ones have been ironed out before release, by a robust testing process. A bug or a regression that is discovered by many users just a day or two after release, is a bug that should not be there - my opinion.

engineertote
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:40 am

exactly
Mikrotik Guys

In the software development world, "stable" almost always means "reasonably stable for its intended use(s)". Exceptions include, I suppose, developing software that controls a nuclear power plant or a NASA spacecraft. RouterOS is a networking OS, and it is inteded to be used by network admins to a high degree, not just to the 0,05% from the average home user. So in this case "stable" would mean something like Cisco, where bugs may of course be present but extremely hard to run into, because the prevalent ones have been ironed out before release, by a robust testing process. A bug or a regression that is discovered by many users just a day or two after release, is a bug that should not be there - my opinion.

nemanja82

Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:19 am

+1

SystemErrorMessage

Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:09 am

I think the MT test racks should also run custom configs by user for testing but ofcourse inspected before used. RouterOS has so many features that it may save time for some important or common environments of routerOS configs be provided by users to be stress tested on new routerOS version.

As i have been saying, there is no reason why routerOS cant be used in other non ISP environments and should also be used not only for routing since even consumer routers are starting to getting stable and with more features especially with 3rd party firmware and are making their way into the SOHO market.

MIPS based devices still do hang or reboot on high loads and when i used my RB 450G with simple configs i found that it would reboot itself multiple times within a few months. Even turning on sniffer causes it to reboot.

Aside from MIPS, ARM-A15 many core routerboards may be quite beneficial in speed and stability while maintaining a low cost. They would be faster than MIPS with encryption and be more stable.

engineertote
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:41 pm

MT guys .. any response ?!!! :? :?

Arcee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:18 pm

Apparently the latest build has a DHCP bug. The DHCP server occasionally issues a broadcast address to clients (i.e. 192.168.1.255/24)

Very basic feature has problems :(

I hope this gets priority.