Community discussions

MikroTik App

eaglelinux
just joined
Topic Author

3G modem problem !

Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Hello,

I am trying to use 3G modem via Mikrotik but it doesn't work and I dont know what cause this problem.

Mikrotik model: RB751U-2HnD
3G Modem model: ZTE MF631

Link status looks like "established" in the beginning of connection but after status change to "Terminating".

Configuration is as below:

Port: usb1
Data Channel: 1
Info Channel: 2
Phone: *99#
Dial Command: ATDT
Profile: default
Keepalive Timeout: 30
Dial On Demand: Unchecked
Use Peer DNS: Checked
Add Default Route: Unchecked

What do you think about this problem ?

Best regards !

keema
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: 3G modem problem !

Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:10 pm

Hi,

1. try without a calling number *99#, just leave empty
2. Play with different channels
3. use apn "internet"

I don't want to discourage you, but Mikrotik routers compared to competition are performing significatly worse (regarding mobile networks 2G-LTE). I have tried soo many different models of routerboards, different ROS versions and also different modems (usb, pci-e, serial).

eaglelinux
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Hello,

Thank you very much. I solved it. Was a problem with channels combination.

Now it work very well, but was so difficult to find the solve way.

Best regards

Alright71
just joined

Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:56 am

Hi,

I don't want to discourage you, but Mikrotik routers compared to competition are performing significatly worse (regarding mobile networks 2G-LTE). I have tried soo many different models of routerboards, different ROS versions and also different modems (usb, pci-e, serial).
Keema, This is a topic i have been looking at for a while, looking at changing over to a 3g internet provider. What have you found to be the issue with Mikrotik specifically? What other brands have you used and would recommend?

Thanks

keema
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:27 pm

First let me say that Mikrotik has been my 1st choice since 2004. Sadly lately in my opinion RoS has been going from 1 buggy release to another so I was forced to start looking for replacements. Looking at the price/performace I started using Virtual Access (http://www.virtualaccess.com) products (for 2g,3g,4g related services) - very stable . I still use Mikrotiks for core networks and wireless. In some case I started replacing wireless with UBNT.

Also what I found to be an issue with Mikrotik is the lack of support for modem drivers. It seems they only support modems that are directly supported by the kernel. But OK, I can adapt to this. Sadly, the modems that were on the support list (ZTE 668, ZTE 668A, Sierra Wireless MC8790, MC8792V, Novatel 850D) didn't perform as they should. By that I mean constant link dropping, routerboard hanging non-stop (at some point it just doesn't find a USB port anymore and needs to be power cycled, reboot doesn't help). Also, Mikrotik support was of no help with this issue, so that's why I say I was forced. Needless to say the same modem that was inserted via USB or PCI-E in Mikrotik, performed without any problems connected to a Windows machine.

These are my experiences with mobile part of Mikrotik.

Alright71
just joined

Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Keema,

Thank you for that super helpful post (not being sarcastic...that was a ton of great info).

dumebi
just joined

Thu May 30, 2019 11:21 am

Hello,

Thank you very much. I solved it. Was a problem with channels combination.

Now it work very well, but was so difficult to find the solve way.

Best regards
Please what was the channel combination that worked for you?

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 31, 2019 5:14 am

This thread is of 2014.

If you need know the bands that works for you, search the bands for your country and your operator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands

Regards.