Community discussions

MikroTik App

rocknight13
Topic Author

Physical Port Name

Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:28 pm

I was thinking about this issue many time when follow my cables to which and where it is goes.
as every body know anyone can change the ports name to something you understand it or refer to something you like to check it.
my suggestion is it will be great idea if we get physical name for each port that can not be changed . in other word
ether1 can be changed to WAN because it is logical name for port 1 at any mikrotik board
it will be great idea if the names become tow parts physical.logical so anyone like to change port name as our example he can change the logic part and the physical part will stack with that name like this ether1.WAN or eth1.wan
This will be great help to any one follow cables and he will now that each cable where it's goes even you change ports name
hope to get some one attention about that
regards

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Physical Port Name

Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:00 am

Keep the default names and use comments for your own names.

rocknight13
Topic Author

Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:44 pm

yes. we can keep the default name and write what you like on comment but it will be nice if we can get both in one field. it will be more clear and more organized for me .
regards

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:13 pm

You would get mess in one field and loose two separate fields that can be used in script with advantage.

friction

Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:51 pm

What about working with an alias like system? think symlink(hardlink) of the linux system...

But that would turn into a mess as well probably.. but it would be up to the user(administrator).

Be aware there is a field "default-name", which, to my knowledge, can't be changed and holds the original name:
[user@router] /interface ethernet> print detail 
Flags: X - disabled, R - running, S - slave 
 0 RS name="ether01-gateway" default-name="ether1" mtu=1500 l2mtu=1598 
      mac-address=D4:CA:6D:4A:xx:yy orig-mac-address=D4:CA:6D:4A:xx:yy 
      arp=enabled auto-negotiation=yes 
      advertise=100M-half,100M-full,1000M-half,1000M-full 
      full-duplex=yes tx-flow-control=off rx-flow-control=off speed=1Gbps 
      master-port=none bandwidth=unlimited/unlimited switch=switch1 

rocknight13
Topic Author

Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:11 pm

Thanks friction,
finally I got logical answer. I did not know that there is default-name for ports. so it will be great if some one ask mikrotik support to show this field on winbox at port windows title or as field on General tab as default-name.
So, my next question why when transfer configuration from CCR1036-12G-4S to CCR1036-8G-2S+ you get mess in ports. suppose configuration based on that default name but each time when I transfer the configuration between this two routers I get eth1 at first router become eth5 as example. I hope mikrotik configuration based on this field so when you backup configuration and restore it to other RB you did not get mess as it happens like now.
Notes: I transfer configuration CCR1036-12G-4S to CCR1036-8G-2S+ and both updates with last frame ware.
anyone from mikrotik support can explain that for us and is it possible to show default-name on winbox.
thanks again friction for you replay
regards

friction

Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:33 am

It should keep Ethernet/physical port naming conventions;

If I run the export command, the configuration of a given physical port looks like the following:
set [ find default-name=ether4 ] name=ether04
This should ensure that when transferring the configuration the port naming should remain the same (at least for the interfaces they have in common).

All command output has been run on version 6.21.1.

rocknight13
Topic Author

Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:56 am

Sorry I did not get you. do you mean that transfer configuration between two different routers based on port name ? do you mean changing names of port to default name before backup will ensure to keep the port identical in both said. is that true I think configuration must based on default-name and not on port name.
am I right ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:14 am

I don't understand the issue. You already gave the solution in your original post. Name the port "ether1-internet" and "ether2-customer"

rocknight13
Topic Author

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi normis,
Thanks for joining to this issue . I am discussion with two issue here :-
1. It will be so nice if show default-name of port in winbox.
2. I faced mess ports configuration when try to transfer backup file from CCR1036-12G-4S to CCR1036-8G-2S+. so I was asking dose mikrotik depends on default-name when restore configuration file? if I restore CCR1036-12G-4S(router1) backup file to CCR1035-8G-2S+(router2) all eth1(router1) configuration will be transfer to eth1(router2)? based on default-name ? because I tried to transfer configuration between two routers and each time a get mess in ports configuration
regards

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:11 pm

new rotueros versions use "default name" for migration.
do not use backup files for moving config. always use "export" files. backup file is for restoring on the same device

rocknight13
Topic Author

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:13 pm

Thanks ... This clear every thing
regards