Community discussions

MikroTik App

Aveyer
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Winbox losing MAC connection to RB850Gx2

Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:48 pm

I just got my first RB850Gx2 and had a hell of a time trying to configure it.

It seems whenever I'm connecting to it via MAC, Winbox constantly loses connection to it, but it doesn't say "Router has been disconnected", it just sits there and everything stops updating.
I tried Netinstalling different versions three times but it made no difference.

Eventually I managed to assign an IP address on it, it seems if I connect via IP it stays connected no problem.
There's just an issue when connecting via MAC which I have never seen before.
I have ROS v6.22 on it now.

Anyone else experience this?

odie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Winbox losing MAC connection to RB850Gx2

Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:42 pm

same problem...
6.18 and 6.22 also...

Aveyer
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:20 pm

Anyone from Mikrotik see this?

gabrielpike
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:15 pm

This is a normal situation. The MAC connection is not stable. Use IP connections whenever possible.

Bomber67

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:11 pm

This is a normal situation. The MAC connection is not stable. Use IP connections whenever possible.
Normal situation? For what?
The only thing this is "normal" to is the RB850Gx2 and it definetely should not be like that.
Configuring hundreds of RB's from the RB112 up till now I have never seen anything like this.
Unpacking my first RB850Gx2 I thought it was damaged and that I had to return it to my dealer.
Trying the next one it was the same
What is going on MT??????
Last edited by Bomber67 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

gabrielpike
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:37 pm

Are you using the beta winbox or the one you download from the router?

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:46 pm

The only thing this is "normal" to is the RB850Gx2 and it definately should not be like that.
This is not true, and if you have never encountered this before, then you are a lucky man indeed.

In my experience, the MAC telnet/Winbox protocol can be unstable, and its stability seems to be linked in part to the medium that you are running it over (e.g., different ethernet chipsets and drivers seem to respond differently). Between some computers and routers, MAC Winbox works great; between a different computer and the same router, not so much. Sometimes certain things work okay but others don't; for example, I have had problems forever where MAC Winbox will work fine right up until I try to upload a file to the router's File window via drag-and-drop, at which time the Winbox connection will drop. When I switch over to an IP connection, it works fine.

The old joke about it being tied to the "phases of the moon" seems apt here.

My modus operandi is to use MAC Winbox to get in, assign the router an IP address as quickly as possible, and then reconnect via IP address.

-- Nathan

Bomber67

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:48 am

The only thing this is "normal" to is the RB850Gx2 and it definately should not be like that.
This is not true, and if you have never encountered this before, then you are a lucky man indeed.

In my experience, the MAC telnet/Winbox protocol can be unstable, and its stability seems to be linked in part to the medium that you are running it over (e.g., different ethernet chipsets and drivers seem to respond differently). Between some computers and routers, MAC Winbox works great; between a different computer and the same router, not so much. Sometimes certain things work okay but others don't; for example, I have had problems forever where MAC Winbox will work fine right up until I try to upload a file to the router's File window via drag-and-drop, at which time the Winbox connection will drop. When I switch over to an IP connection, it works fine.

The old joke about it being tied to the "phases of the moon" seems apt here.

My modus operandi is to use MAC Winbox to get in, assign the router an IP address as quickly as possible, and then reconnect via IP address.

-- Nathan
gabrielpike:
I have tried both, same result.

NathanA:
I don't say I never had problems connecting to a router using Mac Winbox.
I have seen this a few times, and it has probably been related to special configs, ports being disabled or something with bridges, I don't know.
What's new now is that it is consistent for a certain type RB (Ok, I have only tried 2, statistically it is probably considered a somewhat restricted population) but as you can see other people report the same thing. Factory reset and upgrade to 6.23 did no difference.

I use the same lineup all the time when configuring RBs in my lab, and there are hardly problems with any, be it RB 411, 433, 711, 750, 751, 911, 912, 922, 951, 1100AH, CCR1036, SXT, Sextant , Omnitik and so on.
But the 850 won't cooperate.
It is shown in the list when searching with the button with the 3 periods ..., the Winbox loads and displays the ROS version and that's it.

It must be something about the way they made it.

Aveyer
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:00 am

I never had a problem with MAC winbox connection with any routerboard either except for the 850Gx2.
It's not the Beta Winbox either.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:38 am

I never had a problem with MAC winbox connection with any routerboard either except for the 850Gx2.
And I've had plenty of problems with MAC Winbox to other RouterBoards, but not to this 850Gx2 that I have sitting on my desk right this second. So what's your point? I have been MAC Winbox'd to it for about 30 minutes now without any issues. How long do I have to wait before I see the issue that everybody here is talking about?

I'm not saying that you aren't having problems, but I suspect there is something specific to your environment that is factoring into your difficulties. Which is why I wrote what I did earlier: MAC Winbox is fragile, and the stars usually have to align for it to work well. Why it is singling out 850Gx2s in your case I could not say, but clearly, there are PC configurations other than the one you are using that happen to cope with MAC Winboxing to an 850Gx2 just fine, and apparently my PC, for whatever reason, is an example of one such working configuration.

I would advise you to contact support@mikrotik.com with details of your set-up (including Windows version, ethernet chipset(s), ethernet chipset driver version(s), link speed between 850Gx2 and your computer, whether there are any switches in between the RB and your computer, etc.) to see if they can reproduce the issue.

As for me, my working setup with the Gx2 is WinXP SP3 (I know, I know...) on a Dell Vostro 1510 laptop with an integrated Realtek 8168 Gigabit ethernet chip, driver version 5.764.702.2010 dated 07/02/2010, connected to an RB450G that sits in between the 850Gx2 and the computer, with the 450G ports forced to 100/Full (not to solve 850Gx2 communication issues, but because I was seeing some strange p-loss with this particular 450G and various gigabit-capable devices I would plug into it that I haven't had time to troubleshoot). Perhaps this can give you some ideas for things to try or to change on your end.

-- Nathan

jkarras
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:45 am

I have had the same issue mentioned here with my RB850x2. The MAC based connection would make initial connection then act as though it was disconnected and quit updating but never actually disconnects.

I have two others I purchased at the same time but have yet to set them up yet.

Its a very different behavior than i have seen from other router boards in my environment.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:16 am

The MAC based connection would make initial connection then act as though it was disconnected and quit updating but never actually disconnects.
How much time went by between when you made the connection and when you noticed it had stopped updating?

I left my MAC Winbox connection to my 850Gx2 open for over 2 hours before I eventually closed it. Interface stats, system resource stats, a couple of consoles, etc. were all perfectly responsive and updated constantly the whole time.

-- Nathan

Bomber67

Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:25 am

And I've had plenty of problems with MAC Winbox to other RouterBoards, but not to this 850Gx2 that I have sitting on my desk right this second. So what's your point? I have been MAC Winbox'd to it for about 30 minutes now without any issues. How long do I have to wait before I see the issue that everybody here is talking about?

I'm not saying that you aren't having problems, but I suspect there is something specific to your environment that is factoring into your difficulties. Which is why I wrote what I did earlier: MAC Winbox is fragile, and the stars usually have to align for it to work well. Why it is singling out 850Gx2s in your case I could not say, but clearly, there are PC configurations other than the one you are using that happen to cope with MAC Winboxing to an 850Gx2 just fine, and apparently my PC, for whatever reason, is an example of one such working configuration.

I would advise you to contact support@mikrotik.com with details of your set-up (including Windows version, ethernet chipset(s), ethernet chipset driver version(s), link speed between 850Gx2 and your computer, whether there are any switches in between the RB and your computer, etc.) to see if they can reproduce the issue.

As for me, my working setup with the Gx2 is WinXP SP3 (I know, I know...) on a Dell Vostro 1510 laptop with an integrated Realtek 8168 Gigabit ethernet chip, driver version 5.764.702.2010 dated 07/02/2010, connected to an RB450G that sits in between the 850Gx2 and the computer, with the 450G ports forced to 100/Full (not to solve 850Gx2 communication issues, but because I was seeing some strange p-loss with this particular 450G and various gigabit-capable devices I would plug into it that I haven't had time to troubleshoot). Perhaps this can give you some ideas for things to try or to change on your end.

-- Nathan
Thank you for your troubleshooting tips Nathan.

I must believe you when you say this works for you, but also I believe our point is clear enough.
With a very few exceptions (if any) most RBs work like a champ with Mac Winbox OTB from different NICs through a varity of switches, but the RB850Gx2 does not.
My solution for the 850 was to Mac Telnet via IP/Neighbor of another RB and setting the IP, but that's more labour....

Of course I agree that your recipe works, using MAC Winbox just for getting in to set an IP address and continue with IP.
But in my practical work MAC Winbox is extremely convenient and I use it almost daily for configuring equipment for my network.
In most operations the IP addresses of the equipment to be configured does not match the one in my lab, and I don't want to assign any to it either, in order to not disturb the setup.
Normally OTB Routerboards are connected to a PoE switch, I connect via Mac Winbox, remove default configuration, upgrade ROS and bootloader and paste in some basic script from which I continue the config.
Another scenario is when out by a tower, I can Mac Winbox the equipment in the tower and do whatever I want without worrying about the IP address of my notebook.

Designing a new routerboard that breaks this functionality and works with Mac Winbox on only certain NICs and/or ethernet speeds is pretty weird. I hope MT can chime in with a solution.

jkarras
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:36 am

The MAC based connection would make initial connection then act as though it was disconnected and quit updating but never actually disconnects.
How much time went by between when you made the connection and when you noticed it had stopped updating?
Long enough for the initial window to populate. Then things start going blank. I had to set the initial IP address via the serial console. If this would have been a RB750 or something without serial I would not have been able to do initial config on the unit.

Bomber67

Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:39 am

Long enough for the initial window to populate. Then things start going blank. I had to set the initial IP address via the serial console. If this would have been a RB750 or something without serial I would not have been able to do initial config on the unit.
Like I said, luckily (by coincidence? :shock: ) you can Mac Telnet it. Either by typing in the MAC or via ip/neighbor from another RB.
But this is far from convenient.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:39 am

Of course I agree that your recipe works, using MAC Winbox just for getting in to set an IP address and continue with IP.
But in my practical work MAC Winbox is extremely convenient [...]
Of course, I agree. My own (bad?) experiences with MAC Winbox, though (as well as my *good* experience with the 850Gx2), had led me to conclude that the Gx2 was neither better nor worse than any other RB, and that because of past bad experiences, I am not ever going to count on it working for long periods of time or take its presence for granted. It can definitely be a real life-safer, even in its present, flawed form, but because of its finicky nature, I have to believe that MikroTik never intended for it to be used as anything other than a measure of last resort. I was surprised to learn in this thread that there were others who have apparently never had any problems until now, which is completely contrary to my own experience (as well as the collective experience of our field techs).
Designing a new routerboard that breaks this functionality and works with Mac Winbox on only certain NICs and/or ethernet speeds is pretty weird. I hope MT can chime in with a solution.
I'm pretty sure they did not intentionally "design" such a thing. And I would be willing to wager that they haven't said anything because "it works for them" and they need people to give them more details other than just "it doesn't work for me" before they can reproduce and then tackle the problem. In short, they can't fix the problem if they don't know that there is a problem, and they might not know it's a problem because they have never encountered it themselves (which means it's not absolutely broken for everybody), and those that have encountered it do not know how to put together a proper trouble report.
My solution for the 850 was to Mac Telnet via IP/Neighbor of another RB and setting the IP, but that's more labour....
I realize it is not optimal, but out of curiosity, did you try MAC Telnet from the same PC that you were failing to MAC Winbox from? There is a MAC Telnet app for Windows...you knew that, right? You can download it here.

-- Nathan

Bomber67

Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:16 am

Another issue I encounter with the 850 is that they appear to be difficult to run via PoE in from an RB260GSP.
First time I tried none of them powered up.
Then I forced PoE output of the 260GSP and board #1 powered up. After playing around for a while I suddenly made the 260GSP detect the board and now it powers up fine on Auto every time....

Board #2 however, is not detected by the PoE output of the 260.
Played around with "PoE in Long Cable" (which sometimes has saved me even when running the 260 off the DC jack), upgrading to SwOS 1.14, swapping ports, changing between Auto/On etc.. but board #2 only powers up when forcing the PoE output of the 260 to "On".
Current drawn is about 150 mA for each 850.

Anybody else seen this?

hngjared
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:37 pm

Bomber67,

No doubt there's an issue with the MAC telnet connection to the RB850Gx2. I've read some of the replies from other users here but this is specific to this model. No it's not normal, contrary to what the other people are saying. I've upgrade up to 6.25 and the problem is still clear. Once you're able to get in and assign an IP address and connect via the IP everything works fine.

I'm going to test this out throughout the week to make sure I'm comfortable with it.

Bomber67

Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:37 pm

Bomber67,

No doubt there's an issue with the MAC telnet connection to the RB850Gx2. I've read some of the replies from other users here but this is specific to this model. No it's not normal, contrary to what the other people are saying. I've upgrade up to 6.25 and the problem is still clear. Once you're able to get in and assign an IP address and connect via the IP everything works fine.

I'm going to test this out throughout the week to make sure I'm comfortable with it.
Good to hear that we're in the same boat.
Like some people say, Mac Winbox is maybe not rock solid in all means, but after configuring hundreds of routerboards of nearly all models from 2007 I have never seen problems as consistent as with the 850.
From time to time other boards fail as well, but not every time.
Sounds strange that it is made in a way that it only works with certain NICs and switches....either way it's easy to pinpoint the problem down to the 850, not to dozens of NICs and switches sitting around for years....

Needless to say, this flaw makes the 850 more cumbersome to work with....I can't tell how often I have saved my b*** by being able to MAC telnet in to setup or do config changes.

Mikrotik, what is your comment?

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:23 pm

Mikrotik, what is your comment?
Has anybody who is experiencing this problem actually taken the time to write into support@mikrotik.com with full details and with a supout.rif attached? Don't expect a comment from MT until someone has raised the issue with them through their official support channels. This forum is not one of those channels (although it is certainly helpful for other users to know that they are not alone, so don't stop posting, but also don't limit your communication on this issue to just these forums).

-- Nathan

ashishpoyekar
just joined

Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:15 pm

I have purchased new RB850GX2 router I am I trying to connect it by MAC but I am facing problems given below

1) File list not getting
2) Interface list not getting
3) If router is restart from System - Restart Router is not restarting
4) Files are not uploading. Package files & router os file are not uploading.
and many more..

I have use Winbox 2.2.18, 3.0RC5 & 3.0RC6 . Also I have upgrade router os to 6.28RC11 as per instruction of mikrotik support person. Even after all R & D I am facing same problems.

I have sent email to support@mikrotik.com & I got below replies. Ticket No. Ticket#2015031166000126

1) upload support.rif file
2) Use winbox 3.0 RC6
3) Use our latest router os version 6.27
4) Use netinstall tool for installation
5) Install 6.28rc11 through Netinstall.

I have tried all above solution but I faced same issues. When I am using router by selecting MAC address I am facing above problems & when I select IP address above problems are not getting.

This RB850GX2 router is having this problem but Mikrotik support persons are not accepting.

I will suggest mikrotik to first accept your problem so that you will find solution on this problem.

Check Video With RouterOS 6.27 on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LObLz2K ... e=youtu.be

Check Video With RouterOS 6.28RC11 & winbox 3.0 RC6 on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U019c-I ... e=youtu.be

Thanks .

Ashish
Last edited by ashishpoyekar on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandor1k
just joined

Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:56 pm

Аgree, I have the same problem. If you install only the package system, it works fine. I reset the default, no default settings. Can`t configure ip address. As a result, the device is not the workers! How to solve the problem?

cliffliao
just joined

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:06 am

Dear MikroTik developer:

A hint about this error.

Using IP to connect, the "session:" display the IP address of this router.

Using MAC to connect, "session:" STILL display the IP address of this router. Should be the MAC address !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I test with my RB450G.

Hope you guy fix this error ASAP.

Thanks.

Cliff Liao

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:16 am

I only have the one 850Gx2 and it is the first routerboard I have an issue with mac winbox. Open various windows and they don't populate. Changes in other windows don't take.

I unplugged it and put it off to the side. Wasn't so sure about putting it in the field. Now I see it's just standard for this model?

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:52 am

I have written to support a couple of weeks ago about this issue, and they answered that they will look at it and fix it later. When, they didn't specify :)

Sandor1k
just joined

Tue May 12, 2015 10:54 pm

The problem has not been solved in 6.28. Can fix the problem?

elismerkaj
just joined

Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:31 pm

hi everyone
i`m new on mikrotik i have a problem with rb850gx2 when i upgarde it to v6.29.1 i cant acces it even with ip or with mac i dosn`t show the mac.and it keep restarting .even when i try to reset it.it`s the same
any idea.
thanks in advance

jkarras
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:38 am

hi everyone
i`m new on mikrotik i have a problem with rb850gx2 when i upgarde it to v6.29.1 i cant acces it even with ip or with mac i dosn`t show the mac.and it keep restarting .even when i try to reset it.it`s the same
any idea.
thanks in advance
Best to start a new thread rather than tack a separate issue on to an older thread.

marria

Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:04 pm

WHoa-
Just got my hands on a RB850Gx2. I have 100+ Mikrotiks running and NONE OF THEM act like this.

First tried setting up RB850Gx2, removed default config and bang! no reliable access through mac connect on winbox any port. Connect and freeze - over and over and over and over......

after repeated attempts -managed to stay connected long enough to reset to factory and reboot. IP connected again.

Tried my config again - more issues with mac layer access.

If you don't have an IP address on the unit - it cannot be accessed at all. Very tough situation to deal with, what's going on Mikrotik??????

Michael

jkarras
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:17 am

Agreed if this model didn't have a serial port it would be impossible to do initial IP config from blank.

robertkjonesjr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:33 pm

I find MAC telnet quite flaky across the whole product line. With more than one NIC active on the host machine, I don't even bother. I have moved to IPV6 connection through Winbox so that I can configure without having to change my local IPV4 address to be compatible.

Alas, IPV6 discovery does not always work as well as IPV4 discovery, but enough to make it useful, and better than MAC telnet.

Has anyone gotten a network packet capture of the issue? That should cut the problem in half for those with the RB850 - which device is not participating properly with the protocol?

cohprog
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:32 am

Sorry to bring back this thread but I got my first RB850Gx2 and I have the same problem.

To be clear:

1) With RB750Gr2 hEX, RB 951G, RB 2011, CRS212, CCR1009 and various other models, I _never_ had that problem. Sure, the MAC address connection isn't 100% stable but it is usable to do the configuration.

2) With various RB850Gx2, I _always_ have the problem. Most of the time, I can't connect at all. Or it connect but is extremely slow and end-up disconnecting. A few times it worked correctly for a little while.

Now, I noticed the following:

If I connect the RB to various computers using a patch cable (no switch), then it is working fine. If I connect the RB to a SWITCH (in this case, CISCO SG300 serie), I have the problem.

And before someone say it, yes, I rebooted all the SWITCH in case there was wrong ARP in the bridge/switch table but I get the same result.

There is definitively something special with the RB850Gx2 that doesn't happen with other RB.

PS: The problem still happen with RouterOS 6.32.2

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:05 am

Sorry to bring back this thread but I got my first RB850Gx2 and I have the same problem.

To be clear:

1) With RB750Gr2 hEX, RB 951G, RB 2011, CRS212, CCR1009 and various other models, I _never_ had that problem. Sure, the MAC address connection isn't 100% stable but it is usable to do the configuration.

2) With various RB850Gx2, I _always_ have the problem. Most of the time, I can't connect at all. Or it connect but is extremely slow and end-up disconnecting. A few times it worked correctly for a little while.

Now, I noticed the following:

If I connect the RB to various computers using a patch cable (no switch), then it is working fine. If I connect the RB to a SWITCH (in this case, CISCO SG300 serie), I have the problem.

And before someone say it, yes, I rebooted all the SWITCH in case there was wrong ARP in the bridge/switch table but I get the same result.

There is definitively something special with the RB850Gx2 that doesn't happen with other RB.

PS: The problem still happen with RouterOS 6.32.2
just an idea:

are you connecting switch to ethernet port that its the master port of the integrated switch on 850gx2??

try another port or try without slave ports (disabling integrated switch of 850gx2)

cohprog
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:46 am

just an idea:

are you connecting switch to ethernet port that its the master port of the integrated switch on 850gx2??

try another port or try without slave ports (disabling integrated switch of 850gx2)
I tried with various ports. I usualy use those devices as routers and not as switch so I tried without any slave ports too.

bingo220
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:49 pm

Have same problem.
RB850Gx2, ROS 6.32.3

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:15 pm

I have written to support a couple of weeks ago about this issue, and they answered that they will look at it and fix it later. When, they didn't specify :)
I wrote to support again a couple of weeks ago, and yet no fix has been introduced to this problem.
I believe the fix is not coming soon. It might be a hardware problem.

deny
just joined

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:10 am

Guys, I have also the same issue with RB850Gx2 right now. The MAC winbox is not stable at all everytime, trying to update to latest RouterOS for this type (6.33.5) but seems still not resolved yet.

i have been playing with many RB and Ainos hardware but never found like this one, for my side it seems RB850Gx2 is a failed product. Anyone from Mikrotik can verify this issue ? I need it urgently.

Many thanks !!!
DT
I wrote to support again a couple of weeks ago, and yet no fix has been introduced to this problem.
I believe the fix is not coming soon. It might be a hardware problem.

Bomber67

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:47 am

Yes, it would indeed be interesting with a chime-in from MT on this.
They know what the problem is, we would like to know.

netzspezialist
just joined

Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:46 am

From Support March 2015:

We have plans to fix this issue but then we need to completely rewrite ethernet drivers so it will take a long time.

We can ensure you that only MAC Winbox connection is affected.

You can still use RB850Gx2 but use IP connection. If you can create serial connection from other computer or router then simply add address and then use it.

You can also try to reset router with jumper hole.

Btw. this is not the only bug on the interfaces of the x2. Try to connect an x2 with an RB450G. The throughput of these two routers decreases below 100 MBit. with two RB450G I get full performance of the gigabit interfaces.

In my opinion the router is currently unuseable because you can't be sure if there are other bugs and problems.

marsark
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:05 am

I have this problem too. Tested with my two RB850 with different versions of ROS. MAC connection fails every time. I have also problems with handling small DNS (UDP) packets. In my opinion RB850 is crappy platform.

Bomber67

Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:00 am

I have this problem too. Tested with my two RB850 with different versions of ROS. MAC connection fails every time. I have also problems with handling small DNS (UDP) packets. In my opinion RB850 is crappy platform.
I cannot fully agree with you in that...have had one in production since june 2015, VPN server for a main office with 4 offices dialling in via L2TP/IPSec. Works flawlessly.
But - MAC connection is crappy, no doubt!

Saleh9416
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:55 pm

I have the same problem as well! also mac address takes too long to appear on winbox

mstephens
just joined

Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:26 pm

I have the same problem as well! also mac address takes too long to appear on winbox
I just received my 850Gx2. I have been working with this since RB100's, 112s etc. I have seen in the past where you could not update firmware via MAC using winbox. However I have never since this problem on ver 5.x or 6.x until now. I updated my Winbox ver to 3.4 and now everything is working fine again.

volkirik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:03 am

Experienced same problems many times.
  • MTU should be set to 1500 for the network interface.
  • Unused network interfaces should be disabled in OS.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:06 am

Make sure that your ROS and firmware are updated and only use good quality cables.

Use latest Winbox version.

Regards.

dragonator
just joined

Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:44 pm

Experienced same problems many times.
  • MTU should be set to 1500 for the network interface.
  • Unused network interfaces should be disabled in OS.

In my case changing MTU to 1500 fix the problem

volkirik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:53 am

alternatively add mangle - clamp-to-pmtu in output chain. it should work.