Community discussions

MikroTik App

cylent
Topic Author

unhappy with RouterOS

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:56 am

So far I can honestly say that the purchase of RouterOS has brought me nothing but pure and un-adult-rated headaches.

1st issue) hotspot is too darn buggy. It causes clients internet to be slow and sluggish. i have found a way around this and that is to use PPPoE.

2) the darn Rate Limit which is just not working no matter what i do.
if i type in 54000/54000 it doesnt work. if i type in 54k/54k it doesnt work. users are always go higher than what i type in.

3) the key problem. what if i have a new server i want to load RouterOS on? i have to buy a new key (additional $10)

honestly i bought routeros cause it had lots of cool features and the main one i came after was hotspot.

To sum up. I am regretful and dissapointed.

Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:56 am

Well i've read your post history and can safely say that with some work all your above issues are config based problems.

1. We use Hotspot to cover a city, we have not had any issues with it since 2.9.4, Its not that slow unless the AP --- Laptop connection is pushing it, latency and throughput are fine

2. We use rate-limit on pretty much everything, Simple Queues to Queue Trees, Hotspot and PPPoE aswell as general limits on our edge routers. Once again the last problems i saw on our network with Rate Limit was in the 2.9 Betas

3. Why are you installing RouterOS on a harddrive? No one else does, Cisco use CF for IOS, So should you. Its a non-issue

I'm sorry that your RouterOS experence is not that good but its not a simple program to use and it shouldnt be. Networking requires alot of skill and alot of reading.

Post on the forums more with all of your config's and the setup you want - you will get helpful replys where something is tricky but dont be offended if you are told the read the doc's

cylent
Topic Author

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:31 am

3. Why are you installing RouterOS on a harddrive? No one else does, Cisco use CF for IOS, So should you. Its a non-issue
well i dont have a CF solution at this time so i opted to install it on the HD.
Link

e2346437
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:13 am

Go to http://www.wisp-router.com and for $100 you *could* have purchased a Mikrotik Level 4 (WISP) software license on a 64MB Disk-on-module device that is solid state and connects directly to an IDE port on your router mainboard. This device can be moved from PC to PC with no issue and has NO moving parts to fail.

I use several of them in my network with great success.

I have to agree and expand upon Beccara's post...you have not done enough reading at all. I don't mean to be insulting, but if you had read even a little bit about Mikrotik pre-purchase, you would have purchased it on a DOM device, or in an RB5xx device.

It also seems that you are at a disadvantage because you are using a satellite connection.

I also agree with Beccara that all of your problems are config related, and I sympathize with you because, in my opinion, Mikrotik has poor support and documentation. I struggled for months and months and questioned my decision to go with Mikrotik for a long time, but then things started to click in my head, and my configs started to work. I had to take the examples that I had taken from months of reading, and tweak them to fit my application.

I suppose if I needed somthing right away, I would have contacted Butch Evans consulting (http://www.butchevans.com) to hire him to teach me. You might try that. You also may be interested in the 4-day class in St. Louis, MO, USA, at the end of July.

gerencia@e-digitales.com
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:50 pm

fOR ME , RouterOS is gr8, was the solution for all my problems....pehaps, more adds will be better but is gr8.

From Colombia

jager
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:55 am

If someone can`t figure out how to do certain things with router os, after looking at the manual and writing to this forum where a lot of fine ppl willing to help, than he better stop bugging with computers and go for agriculture. There is NO second option, router os is the best, easyest and cutest solution for all routing/speed limiting/etc problems!

cylent
Topic Author

Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:15 pm

If someone can`t figure out how to do certain things with router os, after looking at the manual and writing to this forum where a lot of fine ppl willing to help, than he better stop bugging with computers and go for agriculture. There is NO second option, router os is the best, easyest and cutest solution for all routing/speed limiting/etc problems!
Now now. lets not get that angry

remember i am the one who paid money and i am displeased with the product.

thats all.

cabana
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:30 pm

I am not sure how you can be displeased with the product. Its a fraction of the price of cisco and is very reliable. The only thing I can imagine is causing you problems is configuration errors or finger trouble

jager
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:03 pm

Now now. lets not get that angry
OK, you`re right. Sorry for my vocabulary :)
remember i am the one who paid money and i am displeased with the product.
Do you wanna say that router os is overpriced or what? I agree that this OS is not perfect, and that there is much to work on it. It is in constant development, new versions are available very often. I respect this effort very much! But even the older versions that was much more buggy than the lastest one, worth every cent! C`mon,be honest: where can you get such software for that amount of money?

cylent
Topic Author

Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:03 pm

well after i tried about 3 firewall products i have decided to return to RouterOS. After all, i paid for the darn thing so why not use it.

I have to say that the reason that made me buy routeros was its TONS of COOOOL features that I just couldnt ((Truth alert)) get to work how i want.

frustration got the better of me and caused me to snap and start this thread.

to the RouterOS community: I am sorry!

i am back now and i'd like all your help to get this product working how i want.

I'll be starting a new thread in a moment or maybe tomorrow with a question to get this started from scratch.

thanks.

jager
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:17 pm

to the RouterOS community: I am sorry!
Apology accepted :)