Community discussions

MikroTik App

cbergerson
just joined
Topic Author

Remove Quickset from Winbox?

Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:15 pm

Hello Mikrotik Users,

I was wanting to know if there was any known ways to remove the QuickSet feature from winbox other than purchasing hardware that does not support it.

I have a 951-2n that I purchased for a friend, for this application I need the wireless interface to act as a station which receives DHCP from the network (like a CPE would, and then just the ethernet ports are used for LAN.)

Well QuickSet seems to require certain settings on Ether1 and every time I change my settings Quickset goes bananas and changes things back or just will not allow the config to work because quickset does not recognize that it has an IP that can route LAN traffic.

I was able to get my config to work via webfig after disabling QuickSet by removing it with the Design Skin function and saving it and the config works as expected, but I like Winbox much better and would prefer that when I login with Winbox it does not break the config.

While I do recognize that there might be a way to get the same effect without disabling QuickSet in winbox I don't know how to do it and it's not the first time I have had this headache with QuickSet and would prefer to just have the option to disable/remove it without downgrading RouterOS versions.

Any ideas? Does anyone know how to do this or do I need to make this into a feature request?

Best Regards,

Christopher

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Remove Quickset from Winbox?

Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:57 am

But if you just ignore QuickSet, it will not affect your custom settings. Most importantly, don't press the Apply button in QuickSet and you can then use any settings you like

noib
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:56 am

I had also some problems with quickset on SXT devices acting as bridge; I just opened Quickset and it revered to default wifi configuration (i did NOT click apply). Happened twice in something like 1 month. Now i never click Quickset on production environments :p

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:02 pm

Changing the mode is the only thing that could affect anything. So avoid "mode" dropdown and the "apply" button and you will be fine.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:33 pm

Changing the mode is the only thing that could affect anything. So avoid "mode" dropdown and the "apply" button and you will be fine.
Or, really? You must be joking!

I do understand that clicking apply button changes your configuration. This is expected. But I definitely do not expect any kind of action with any kind of dropdown box to lead to the changes being applied. This is an unexpected behavior, to say the least.

I'm surprised that no one reported this earlier.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:08 pm

I have accidentally clicked the Quick Set button in Winbox countless times while connected to production routers, and have never had it change my configuration just by opening up that window. Ever. If it did, I am quite sure that would be something that I'd remember happening, especially since I know I would be pretty pissed off. I am fairly sure that I have also selected a mode with Quick Set opened and just closed the window without clicking Apply, and it didn't change my configuration, either (though I won't swear to it...I will try it out on a test router to see).

I'm not defending Quick Set changing things without clicking Apply or OK if it does indeed do that, but one thing you can do as a cautionary measure would be to engage Safe Mode before you do anything else. If it makes a change that causes you to get booted out, it will revert back. If it makes a change but it doesn't cause you to get booted out, then just click the Undo button. Great features, both of them.

-- Nathan

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:13 pm

To clarify, it does ask you "if you are sure" before changing anything:
Screenshot 2014-11-25 13.12.30.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cbergerson
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:38 pm

Thank you for your replies.

Let me clarify before moving on, I was able to Winbox into the unit in production without breaking the config. I didn't dare open QuickSet though because that is when it seems to affect changes on the box.

I was in a hurry yesterday to get that config done and in production so I have not had time to fully troubleshoot what I am/was experiencing and will have to try to replicate what I have experienced (on multiple configs since QuickSet came out) but more than that I will need to duplicate the results definitively listing out what steps I took and when the changes actually took place. Here is what I remember from yesterday.

For instance I have Eth1 and the WLAN1 interfaces in the same bridge named WAN, and when I opened QuickSet the mode was changed (I forget what it was and what it changed to) and on the right hand side instead of being selected as a router it was a bridge, along with the device not knowing that it had an IP, gateway, subnet, dns, ect. All information which it had in the config outside of QuickSet. I believe at this point I tried pinging the next hop which was giving my WLAN1 an IP and the router did not know where to ping from even when I selected WLAN1 as the interface to ping from.

After opening QuickSet the config didn't work. Although here is where I want to clarify, because I was in a hurry I may have tried to change the red items in QuickSet after opening it (force of habit I guess) and that might have been when QuickSet affected the changes although i'm almost positive the mode itself was changed when I opened QuickSet and the very act of opening QuickSet seemed to allow the mode to apply its desired changes because I had opened QuickSet.

In my infinite spare time I will see if I can reproduce this in a controlled way and document my findings properly since I brought it up.

Best Regards,

Christopher

sleepychild
just joined

Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:33 pm

2 years later quickset in winbox nukes the configuration if you dare press the ok button under any circumstance. It is broken and should be removed or fixed.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:24 pm

Quickset is a wizard-like tool for initial configuration, is it not intended to change a running config.

@sleepychild: That being said, did you experience this by yourself recently? If so, please include more specifics.

I just tested this (RouterOS 6.36.3, Winbox 3.5):

1.- Opened Quickset. No config changes were nuked
2.- Changed QuickSet mode (a no-no) and was greeted with
Captura de pantalla 2016-09-10 a la(s) 19.19.34.png
clicked NO and no config were nuked.

Again, Quickset is not intended to modify running configurations. To do that, you need to start over: reset to no defaults, reboot, then run QuickSet from scratch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:46 pm

I think some users *need* a dialog box that forces them to type in "I understand that by doing this action I will be deleting my current configuration"
But then again, some will type it and still say that it didn't prompt them.