Community discussions

MikroTik App

vamose
just joined
Topic Author

Wifi coverage - MikroTik or Ubiquiti

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Folks I am in market to buy a good wireless product. I leave in a concrete apartment hence please factor in this aspect when making a recommendation.

My requirement is to obtain 100% signal strength across the whole apartment, the apartment is approx 2500 sq.ft.

As per the Ubiquiti website the product covers 183 meters, but what I am not sure is it in line of sight or through obstacles such as concrete wall. I am in dilemma, and willing to spend any where upto $100 to get a good solid product.

I have a linksys router and a dlink router, hence investing money on router is not a justification to factor in.

I have a 10MB internet speed and streaming media content form my media center to other TV in the house, via wireless channel.

MikroTek wireless Router board access point Model: RB951G-2HnD or the Ubiquiti UniFi Long Range Access Point.

The links below to respective product listing and details.

http://routerboard.com/RB951G-2HnD
http://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

Appreciate your candid response.

noremacyug

Re: Wifi coverage - MikroTik or Ubiquiti

Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:34 pm

Not sure how the uap-lr performs, but I am less than impressed with my Edgerouter lite/uap-ac combo. For $360 I expected more from them. The Edgerouter lite is ok, but for just a touch more than the price of the Edgerouter I can have the mikrotik RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN. I'll give up AC, but I don't really care right now as the only thing I have that is AC is my MacBook Air.

Long story short, just got off work and first thing I did was go and unplug my ubiquiti equipment and plug back up my asus rt-ac66u for temporary. I plan on returning the ubiquiti equipment and going mikrotik, just not 100% locked in on what yet, prolly the RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN.

Hope that helps.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:27 pm

You will never get 100 % signal at such circumstances. Materials of environment will always attenuate the signal level and it lowers anyway with quadrate of distance. Even in clear space. What's more, the link quality depends on both sides equally so thinking just only about one side is totally nonsense. Therefore if someone says that ap covers xx square meters it doesn't say anything as it is not giving any information.
So, think again and tell us what clients will be connected and what do you expect from them. Also how your house is built.

sveno

Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Here,

read this: http://blog.serverfault.com/2011/12/12/ ... fi-part-1/

Compare transmission power. Some are super high-power and I advise to turn those down to optimal levels. High RF pollution is a source of stress.

Live testing is where the optimal AP solutions are found. Easy in enterprise - hard at home.

hgonzale
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:25 pm

My friend, remember a wireless communication is a conversation between TWO. You can buy a very powerful AP but is the second device doesn't have enough power to reach the AP, you arent doing anything.

In fact, I will recommend you a very good,cheap, powerful and sensitive AP but it doesn't do all alone.

I recommend the Ubiqui Pico Station, configure like in USA and you will get close to 1 Watt power and a good reception. Place in the middle of the house, separate from wall and irons and use the cleanness channel as possible.