Community discussions

MikroTik App

Arcee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Protecting Tower Equipment from "Salt"

Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:39 pm

So I know most of the outdoor equipment is built to withstand the 'typical' elements, what are you guys doing for installs near the ocean?

The salty air near the ocean seems to be able to corrode even stainless steel over time. Are you guys dressing your equipment with any products to add an additional layer of protection?

Just to put it in to context, I'm referring to items like a Netmetal 5 which has a small opening for the antenna cables to get to the radio interface and the interface point for the mANT.

Caulking... a spray that provides a thin layer of protection? Thoughts?

RogerWilco

Re: Protecting Tower Equipment from "Salt"

Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:21 am

The salty air near the ocean seems to be able to corrode even stainless steel over time
If it is any less the 316 grade then even stainless steel will corrode in salt environments.

I don't have the NetMetal, but I can't see how caulking with something like silicon would hurt. Or wrap the area around the hole with some coax sealant tape.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:41 am

you could use the Netmetal and just like the above poster suggested, spray it with something, like WD40, silicone or anything really. the Netmetal is fully sealed, and once the antennas are attached, it will not matter what you coat it with.

netmetal can be used with the cover taken off, because the antenna connectors are isolated too (rubber seals on both sides), the cover is just an extra layer of protection

Arcee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:05 pm

Noted. Thanks.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:02 pm

Ask you car-serviceman what is the best mixture to protect bottom of your car against de-icing salt used on the roads.

derr12

Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:10 pm

I would imagine a rubberized paint would keep it un-rusted during the duration of it's lifespan. Like that rock-chip stuff you can get in the can.