Community discussions

MikroTik App

ajaywi
Topic Author

Using Radius with Hotspot but think we out grew it

Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:43 pm

I setup our network with a central Radius with a routerboard using hotspot at each tower, problem is now we are seeing issues. every few days customers complain of slow speeds.If we disconnect them when they reconnect speed is back...

I tried just setting up Queues with radius, but noticed it doesn't disconnect users if u disable the account. or if you change speeds it doesn't change until you disconnect that user. and one other issues seems if the routerboard is rebooted there is no speed control then until the use restarts.

Is there a way to do this automatically?
or is there another setup I can do?

imrankosi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Using Radius with Hotspot but think we out grew it

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:36 pm

did you enable api service in mikrotik and configure api in radius service. if no the configure api. most probable you will get the solution

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:43 pm

Try using the Acct-Interim-Interval radius attribute for your access-accept packets. You can also define it specifically in the hotspot server profile radius settings.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:RA ... ess-Accept

This should make the MikroTik check back in with the radius server every so often to make sure the account is still active or not. For something more immediate/controllable, you would probably need to write something with the API and a custom application.

You can also define how often you want people to have to sign into the network by defining the session timeout.

ajaywi
Topic Author

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:53 am

ever have problem with API enabled on Radius Manager?
Last year when I tried it actually would lock up the Routerboard within a few hours. Never did figure out what was going on.