MUM Europe 2020

dynek
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RouterOS to act as syslog server ?

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:47 am

Hello,

I'm unable to find an answer and all my tests were inconclusive: can RouterOS act as a syslog server ?

Thank you

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RouterOS to act as syslog server ?

Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:37 am

No. Unless you install the dude. But it has too much problems itself.

eternal0

Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:52 pm

You can't use RouterOS as a syslog server.
However, you can install OpenWRT in MetaROUTER. It is possible to run syslog server and many other applications on OpenWRT.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:32 pm

Unfortunatelly virtualized os does not have access to usb disk files, so you cannot store the logs directly to external flash.

I already was asking here on the forum more than year ago the same question: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 1&p=390395

I also argumented that syslog server would be much more useful than ip cloud. http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... og#p431004. No answer to this.

You should search the forum before you asked.

Anyway, now I do not think it is necessary when running dude on pc. Unfortunatelly it needs running pc. I hope I will deploy some small mipsbe devices with 5.x ros and try to run dude on them. Hope it will work. In this case I would be able to get rid of dude from pc.

Have a look at dude, it has quite good syslog server functionalities.

dynek
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:48 am

No. Unless you install the dude. But it has too much problems itself.
Thank you for your answer.
However, you can install OpenWRT in MetaROUTER. It is possible to run syslog server and many other applications on OpenWRT.
Thank you - I did install OpenWRT as a mean to have a full implementation of OpenVPN :-)
I finally used my NAS as syslogd and had everything logged there.
You should search the forum before you asked.
Thanks for giving me such a good advise :) However I did search the forum and used my friend Google and oddly enough , even using right terms "syslog syslogd server", I only found threads and people discussing having RouterOS send logs to another host.

hossain2004a
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:16 am

Installing Syslog on MT?
In this case I think this would kill CPU!!!

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:21 pm

Not by syslog server itself as it already works like part of dude package that does much more heavy things over the syslog server.

Maybe file operations on USB storage is able to kill cpu as it is very inefficiently implemented in ROS / RB hardware (do not kno exactly what is the bottleneck, but to operate with files on USB flashdisk is nightmare for Routerboards according to my experience). I guess that this is also the reason why dude runs so badly on RB.