Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

tony49055
just joined
Topic Author

Sonic wall speed vs. Mikrotik speed

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:37 pm

I have used Sonic wall routers in the past due to the packet filtering speed and performance, I recently heard of Mikrotik, I am not opposed to switching at all... How does Mikrotik compare in performance to a sonicwall unit?

eternal0

Re: Sonic wall speed vs. Mikrotik speed

Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:06 pm

Which model?
CCR1036 is much powerful than my old H3C F1000, and very cheap. However, MikroTik doesn't support HA. VRRP failover is too slow in some cases.

tony49055
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:19 pm

I know Sonic wall is praised as the fastest processing router for the money aside from the very expensive Cisco... anyone else know of any bench test between SonicWall and Mikrotik?

tony49055
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:08 pm

Typically use Sonicwall NSA2600/3600

tony49055
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:27 pm

Cmon guys! I want to switch to Mikrotik because of price, but I need some help here lol convince me :)

rmmccann
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:36 pm

About all you can really do is buy one and compare it. Keep in mind that you are comparing two completely different products.

Mikrotik is geared more towards routing and advanced networking features. SonicWall is a UTM appliance. Mikrotik doesn't offer much in the way of the UTM functionality that SonicWall has.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. --Douglas Adams

troffasky

Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:53 pm

About all you can really do is buy one and compare it.
Nobody in their right mind is going to start swapping kit out without testing it first, so the OP will get his answer soon enough! A more specific question might elicit some more useful answers.

rmmccann
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:47 pm

Nobody in their right mind is going to start swapping kit out without testing it first
You'd be surprised what some "tech" departments do when the right vendor swoons them. LOL
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. --Douglas Adams

i4jordan
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:29 am

I work with SonicWall, Mikrotik and some other brands and I do like both brands for different reasons.
SonicWall is performing very good (I worked with NSA3500 series) and for sure is the ipsec tunneling very stable and very fast.
SonicWall has VTI interfaces with good routing possibilities on ipsec secured tunnels.

Mikrotik does not have VTI and the GRE+ipsec implementation is usable but lacks performance and maintainability.
But MKT has a very good routing performance and also loads of very useful options and features.
MKT has a very good price performance. I am working mainly with CCR series.

Both brands have there pro's and con's but for now we stick at MKT just because they perform very well for there pricing level.