Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

tonyd
Topic Author

CCR1036-12G-4S now locking up constantly

Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:45 am

Hello,

As much as I want to go f...ing off, I will attempt to keep my tone civil. I've got two CCR1036-12G-4S which I shelled out $1000+ each. Both serving a single channel of an etherchannel link between my core router and edge router. They ran flawlessly for 6ish months. Now they lock on me. I've tried dissimilar configs, disabling all the firewall rules (which are on the bridged sfp1 & 2 ports), etc. Nothing seems to make a difference. While I have at least 150 mikrotik routers on my network, I'm about to say F it, and replace the whole dam lot. Routers locking up, going stupid, etc. With respect, I wouldn't expect to hear from this forum, you get what you "pay" for. I've had a love hate relationship with Mikrotik products from the day I was shovel two new purchased networks. Yet learned to appreciate a number of features and in fact grow to actually like the product. However, I can't take the instability any longer. If I am completely missing to boat here by all means tell where I'm going wrong. I've read endless Wiki articles, posts, etc. RouterBoard OS's are typically next to last stable release. Firmware upgraded with each OS upgrade, yada, yada. I'm working with 30 years in the industry, with a CCNP, MTCRE, MTCTCE, and MTCWE. I know this doesn't make me omni present, a genius, or a some kind of guru. But I'm also not uneducated, grossly ignorant, or a moron. Somebody, someone, kick me a bone please...

Thank you

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: CCR1036-12G-4S now locking up constantly

Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:05 am

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, we need some more information about lockups on your CCR routers to help you fixing this problematic issue.

First of all, you need to make sure that locks are present on v6.24 (as we are improving RouterOS CCR in every version).
The next step to narrow lockup behaviour and reason, why it is happening, whether it happens on specific Ethernet ports (due to port disconnects, negotiation problems etc.), or perhaps it happens on entire router. It would be great you can find Null Modem cable and when lockup is present, get local access to router to find out what is going on there.
Waiting for more information from you.

ScottReed
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:00 am

@tonyd

I had a CCR1016-12G with similar issues. I went to utilize port 12 and every time the port went active, the router rebooted and logged a kernel failure.

At the time I was migrating to a CCR1036-12G-4S so I just went ahead and swapped the products.

I took the 1016 back to the shop and was able to reproduce the issue with the thing sitting by itself on my desk with no other ports in use. I grabbed the latest NetInstall and just formatted it and reloaded rOS 6.23. At that time the issue went away. This router has been back in production now for 24 days.

I agree with @sergejs reply about trying to console in via serial (if you even can). I also agree with the rOS upgrade, BUT, I would do the following instead...

...If you can take an export of the configuration and format/re-install rOS, I would do that as opposed to just upgrading. Then drop your config back on and verify everything is functioning.

/export compact file=compact_backup
NetInstall

/import verbose=yes file-name=compact_backup

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:04 am

tonyd,

Did you do any upgrades to RouterOS on the CCR during the time that you have owned it, and if so, do you remember if the instabilities correlated at all with a RouterOS upgrade? (Or, at the very least, do you remember for sure whether there was a certain version that you ran during those 6 months of stability that was stable? Maybe you could try going back to that version.) Or did you largely leave it alone and the rebooting just spontaneously started?

-- Nathan

netvisionip
just joined

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:56 am

Hello.

Did you every resolve this issue as i also have a ccr1036-12g-4s where by the interfaces lockup. Also ether4 shows the port speed changing however nothing is plugged into this port. I have updated to the latest firmware which has not had an effect.

The only other option is to perform a factory reset but im not sure if this will solve my problem.