Community discussions

MikroTik App

nugizo
just joined
Topic Author

CCR1036-8G-2S+ NAT maxinum throughput

Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:29 am

Hi Guys!

Wondering if anyone could assist me on this one. Need to find a router/switch that can do 10gb Links and also able to do NAT.

How high is the maximum NAT throughput for CCR1036-8G-2S+. Considering to get a few but I need to show that these are what we are looking for first. :D

Thanks!

shavvox
just joined

Re: CCR1036-8G-2S+ NAT maxinum throughput

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:15 pm

Anyone? We are looking for 10G solutions as well. Currently, we are running Cisco 6500 series with FWSM for NAT Translations, and SUP720 3BXL. We are looking at Mikrotik as options before we upgrade to all an all Cisco solution.

Please let us know.

Duduhandelman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:47 am

It depends.
First thing you should consider that 6500 doing hardware nat.
Mikrotik I doing a software nat.
Mikrotik limitations are as follow.

1. Maximum tcp throughput is 1gb thia is the maximum that each core can handle.
2. Latency is higher.

Good stuff.
The visual side is amazing compared to Cisco. You can actually see the data.
You can do qos as crazy as you wish.

I would suggest you to get the device connect at as a bridge on the existing 6500 and give it a try.

It depends on the actual traffic and the amount of packets.

Good luck.

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:23 am

You need to realize that with hardware accelerated stuff everything is fine until your configuration "fits" into available features, as soon as you need something outside the provided set of features you are screwed.

I had experience with other equipment that provided hardware NAT acceleration, all look beautiful until problems started - in the end it turns out hardware NAT supported only 1000 connections....

Statement about 1Gbps TCP it is only for 1 TCP connection, i'm pretty sure that qwith 10G connection you will have much more tht 1 TCP connection :).

in any case i will have to agree with previous poster - "NAT with 10G connection" is not enough information to answer your question. We need to know full set of features you plan to use and actual max available traffic to provide some educated guess.
With great knowledge comes great responsibility, because of ability to recognize id... incompetent people much faster.