Community discussions

RazorMK
just joined
Topic Author

Antivirus defs not updating on mikrotik 750

Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:49 am

Hello
I have computers on my network,some with nod32, others with vipre antivirus, and they arent updating definitions automatically, I can only update them manually. I have mikrotik 750gl router and static IPs for computers

NAB
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Antivirus defs not updating on mikrotik 750

Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:04 pm

Hello,

This is not a Mikrotik/RouterOS problem. I suggest you call a local IT consultant.
Nicholas Barnes BSc(hons)
Certified Mikrotik Consultant
Certified Mikrotik Trainer

Vitell - Asterisk, Linux and network consultants
Unofficial IRC channel: #routerboard on irc.z.je

RazorMK
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:52 pm

Hello,

This is not a Mikrotik/RouterOS problem. I suggest you call a local IT consultant.
I believe it has to do with forwarding specific port on router

NAB
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:29 pm

Why? Nothing you have said would indicate this as a cause of the problem.
Nicholas Barnes BSc(hons)
Certified Mikrotik Consultant
Certified Mikrotik Trainer

Vitell - Asterisk, Linux and network consultants
Unofficial IRC channel: #routerboard on irc.z.je

RazorMK
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:34 pm

Why? Nothing you have said would indicate this as a cause of the problem.
any idea what could be causing this ? i think i need to forward a port, what is your opinion on this

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:16 pm

If manual update works and automatic update doesnt work, it has NOTHING to do with networking.

You do NOT need to forward any ports, these are all out-bound connections.
Unimus - configuration management, automation and backup solution
Mass Config Push, network-wide RouterOS upgrades, and more!

RazorMK
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:59 pm

If manual update works and automatic update doesnt work, it has NOTHING to do with networking.

You do NOT need to forward any ports, these are all out-bound connections.
i have vipre and nod32 on different computers, and all antiviruses do not download definitions automatically, only manually. But when i ping the servers(from which definitions should be downloaded) they can be reached.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:34 pm

If you aren't going to listen to reason, then there is no point in anybody continuing to waste their time responding to you.

As everyone else here has already stated more than once, this is not a port forwarding problem, and unless you are doing something super-duper strange in your RouterOS config that you are not telling us about, it is with 99.999% certainty that I can say that this has nothing to do with your router. Virus definitions are PULLED by the antivirus software from the server, not PUSHED to each individual computer by the server. A push arrangement would never scale: antivirus software vendors do *not* maintain a complete list of every single active computer that has their software installed on it and then initiate mass-definition update pushes out to all of them whenever definitions get refreshed on their side.

Besides, if it was a port forwarding problem, what single host out of all the workstations on your network would you choose to forward the port(s) TO? You couldn't possibly solve every computer's problem this way; you'd have to limit yourself to one. Which is ridiculous and doesn't make sense. Also, opening up specific ports for unsolicited connections from outside your NAT+firewall to every host on your LAN 24/7/365 is a security no-no. No software vendor would require you to "open ports" to pull down software updates, and certainly no AV vendor is going to require you to open up permanent holes at the head of your network to all hosts on it.

Use common sense, please. Dollars-to-donuts say that virtually all antivirus software vendors -- just like virtually any software vendor doing digital distribution today, period -- are serving up their updates from a web server, via HTTP. Do you need to "forward ports" to be able to browse specific web sites? No. No, you don't.

If you are still convinced after all of this that your problem has something to do with your router, then post a complete '/export compact' for the members of this board to comb over. But I'm telling you: you are looking in the wrong place. If you are so convinced it is a problem with your router, then replace it with something else for a day and see for yourself.

-- Nathan